• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I have a Galaxy S-21 phone and I have successfully used Bluetooth earbuds for receiving phone calls and listening to music from apps on the phone. I also have impaired hearing which makes it difficult to understand dialogue from a TV. I also have a sound bar which helps filter the sound from the TV, but is still not enough for my hearing situation. Since my earbuds provide crystal clear performance, I decided to get a wireless lavilier microphone to place next to the TV speakers without the need for wires. The microphone system I purchased paired with my phone, but I don't get anything picked up from the microphone to my earbuds. I checked my permissions for various items associated with my phone hook ups, with external microphone included, and all are shown to be turned on. I tried looking at related video tutorials to solve this issue, and most of them recommended the app to use, "Open Camera". They went through its settings process with the final audio one as, "external microphone " that I entered into that process... None of this works. I can unplug the receiver from my phone, and immediately the microphone will blink alternately red and green to show the pairing has been lost. When I plug the receiver back into the phone it will flash its green indicator briefly and then show a steady green , as does the microphone. So, I know these items have been reconnected to my phone. This seems to indicate an issue with the phone connecting with the microphone and my Bluetooth items. How do I solve this?

I'm beginning to think this microphone system was intended only for recording to the original camera app on my phone and nothing else. If this turns out to be true, I'll just return it and get a refund. I'd really like to find something that could work with using my earbuds though. I'll wait for more replies before doing so.

Upvote 0
I've done some research and that's what I'm seeing as well. I think your connection to your phone is solid and you can easily record your TV... not helpful. The problem is when connected, the audio output is disconnected. I did find this information that you might try. It sounds like the audio loop is possible on some devices and here is the connection sequence.

Grabbed from the net:
Yes, it is possible to use an external microphone and Bluetooth headphones at the same time on some devices. However, it depends on the specific device and operating system you are using.

If you are using a smartphone or tablet, some models may allow you to connect both an external microphone and Bluetooth headphones simultaneously. To do this, you will need to connect the external microphone to the device's audio jack or USB port, and then connect the Bluetooth headphones to the device through the Bluetooth settings.

I have my fingers crossed for you. I use hearing aids so I empathize with your struggle to understand dialog on the TV

Upvote 0
I don't know how I'm gonna do that. The receiver for the microphone plugs directly into the C connection of my android phone, and has no pass through connection receptacle on what could be the input of my Bluetooth device, which is wireless anyway. Am I thinking about this wrong or misunderstanding your solution?

Upvote 0
'Can't do that with the mic because I would need a male C connector on both ends to connect to the phone. My Bluetooth earbuds being wireless have a separate charging unit with only one C connection, and it's female. I have tried repeatedly to scan for new Bluetooth devices in the "connections" section of settings, but it won't recognize the mic as a Bluetooth device.

Upvote 0
'Can't do that with the mic because I would need a male C connector on both ends to connect to the phone. My Bluetooth earbuds being wireless have a separate charging unit with only one C connection, and it's female. I have tried repeatedly to scan for new Bluetooth devices in the "connections" section of settings, but it won't recognize the mic as a Bluetooth device.
This would also omit the receiver, and I have no idea if the phone's frequency is the same asthe receiver. I'm stumped.

Upvote 0
It's a matter of interpretation of the post I grabbed from the net. The post is calling the phone or tablet a device. Hooking the mic up as intended with mic on and receiver plugged into your phone. Then go into your phone settings and enable your BT buds just as you have them working now... buds married to phone. I'm guessing it simply isn't going to work as you had intended. It's not a limitation of your brand mic but a problem of how the external audio is handled by the phone.

If the recording app had a live audio out without recording would be a work-a-round. You might open the app and see if there is a toggle to test audio input or something similar.

I wish I had more to offer.

Upvote 0
In the settings app of my phone when I go to "connections " and pull up "Bluetooth " the only options are for pairing, scanning for more Bluetooth items, a list of what is currently paired and their names, and an "advanced" tab which allows several options for blocking pairing requests, files downloaded, scan history, and control history; none of which show anything. There is nothing related to any work around for Bluetooth input. I'm currently listening to music from an app in my phone. I tried turning off the music temporarily while the earbuds still remained on, and then went through various steps to receive external input but to no avail. The new Open Camera app doesn't work the way a YouTube video shows, as I already mentioned, because it doesn't show the sub section of volume adjustment and various audio enhancements to change input. As a last resort I may Uninstall this and reinstall it to see if the latter audio option is included, but I'm not optimistic. I've run out of ideas...

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
'Looks like a hearing professional solved my problem for me. Today I got a hearing test and along with the purchase of a set of hearing aids, I also got a small unit in which the hearing aids can pick up the audio of any TV. This changes my mind about keeping the lavilier wireless microphone, and I'll be sending it back to Amazon for a refund. Thanks Y'all for your help in trying to solve my phone connection problem with it.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Congrats on the hearing aids. Keep in mind they are aids and not a fix. I wouldn't be without mine. You will still struggle to pull out the dialog when they have too much background music playing... at least I do. Piped in crowd noise at sporting events makes it difficult to understand the commentators as well. Aids aren't perfect but they sure help.

Upvote 0
Congrats on the hearing aids. Keep in mind they are aids and not a fix. I wouldn't be without mine. You will still struggle to pull out the dialog when they have too much background music playing... at least I do. Piped in crowd noise at sporting events makes it difficult to understand the commentators as well. Aids aren't perfect but they sure help.
I know. My health insurance is paying part of it, so I'm getting the best ones available along with a TV input to my hearing aids. Anything that helps would be a big plus because my hearing loss test revealed a worse loss than I thought. I have to wait a couple of weeks before they're ready.

Upvote 0
The hearing loss worse than thought and waiting two weeks for your aids are both typical. Be prepared to have sensory overflow to start with. The improvement will blow your socks off. :) You will hear sounds that you had forgotten about hearing. The two things that I was miss hearing and didn't realize was the birds chirping in the trees and the sound of my auto tires on the road. You are in for a life improvement and I'm glad your insurance is helping. No matter the cost, you are worth the investment.
If you would like to discuss hearing loss or have any questions about hearing aids, here is a link to a discussion thread on AF.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones