• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

learning curve

tcseacliff

Apr 17, 2010
this is a cool site. i am a Blackberry guy, considering coming over to the Android side. waiting to see where the Galaxy S ends up. does this site have an Android 101section similar to the Blackberry 101 tutorial page? I have some questions. search does not always produce desired answer. is rooting in Android the same as unlocking or unbranding done with blackberries? What are ROMs? when do you need to change or not change them? arethey like the COD's in blackberry? sorry aboutall the noob stuff. I don't hate my BOLD< but the Android experience seems the way to go.

Hi there!

Is rooting in Android the same as unlocking or unbranding done with blackberries?
No unblocking on Android is the same as unblocking on BB, it just means you can use other SIM cards. To root is to gain administrative permissions to the operating system so you (and apps that need it) can modify system files.

What are ROMs?
ROMs are basically the O/S on the device. So a custom ROM is normally a customised version of a stock ROM.

when do you need to change or not change them? arethey like the COD's in blackberry?
I think CODs are apps on BB? The equivalent on Android are APKs. You would go to a custom ROM if it offers you features or enhancements that you cannot get with your stock ROM.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones