• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lecture note taking app

I'd love to have an app similar to the ipad's "notes plus" but for android.

Key features to me:

Good note capture via stylus, including a zoom in mode for precise writing.

Ability to ignore palm touching the screen while the stylus is operating.

Notes database to let you search by date, or tags applied to notes. Ability to apply multiple tags to notes.

I want something that gets as close to possible as my current habit of carrying around a spiral bound notebook, but with good organizational features such as tagging, date sorting, etc.

Other nice to haves:

Ability to add typed text.

Ability to export notes to .pdf, html, or .png via email or via usb cable/sd card.

Ability to import .pdf files, and .doc files, and turn them into notes in the notes database.

Ability to record audio via the tablet's mic and embed it into notes with an icon. Similar to the livescribe pens.

Upvote 0
I would love to have an app available for a tablet with the following capabilities:

Take handwritten notes, similar to writing on a standard note pad of paper.

Handwriting recognition that will convert those handwritten notes into typed text.

Organize those notes into folders and cross reference them with multiple tags, including date taken.

The ability to export those to my PC in .txt or another format that can be recognized by common word processing applications like Microsoft Word.

Am I missing it or is there a note taking app like this on the market currently?

Upvote 0
I'm very excited for this. I'm a law student, so I'll ditto the OP's request for Greek character support. Other ideas: add photographs as well as text, stylus input, and evernote syncing.

Many thanks.

I would also like to suggest the ability to take powerpoints or pdf's of the powerpoints and write notes on the side of the slides. I am psychology student that uses a lot of powerpoints and would like to be able to take notes on the sides of the slides while having the ability to write statistical equations.

Upvote 0
Have a look at the HTC Flyer... I just got one and the built in notes app lets you type and draw with the stylus that comes with it with a bunch of different pen options, and it syncs with evernote, and you can share notes with different apps or email and stuff, and it ignores your hand if you put it down while you use the pen, and you can take a screenshot of anything at all on the flyer and draw on it and add the picture into a note, and it has a sound recording thing with "timemark" so you can find what you were typing at a point in the recording/ what was being recorded while you were typing a word/drawing something. Its not perfect but it's pretty good. and theres a polaris office doc/exel/powerpoint viewer/editor that comes with the tablet too.

Upvote 0
hey has anyone tried quill??

it seems to be fairly new but it looks pretty nice from the youtube video...i havent had a chance to download it onto a bestbuy device yet...

If any of you try this out please post on how it handles :)

ps i cant post a link so just look up android-quill and they their websites have some apk files you can download and you can also get it off the android marketplace

Upvote 0
... I just got one and the built in notes app lets you type and draw with the stylus that comes with it with a bunch of different pen options, and it syncs with evernote, and you can share notes with different apps or email and stuff, and it ignores your hand if you put it down while you use the pen, and you can take a screenshot of anything at all on the flyer and draw on it and add the picture into a note, and it has a sound recording thing with "timemark" so you can find what you were typing at a point in the recording/ what was being recorded while you were typing a word/drawing something. Its not perfect but it's pretty good. and theres a polaris office doc/exel/powerpoint viewer/editor that comes with the tablet too.

What is the name of the built in notes app? It sounds like exactly what I want. So far only see AudioNote, NoteRec, and Snyc Voice Note which are less functional than what you describe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones