• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lets talk about BACKUPS

• Thread starter Android Question
  • Start date
A

Android Question

Hi Guys!

i start this little thread with little fear.. because i am an "ex Linux" user... i know how they think how they react..... an i know how they attack when somebody tries to tell them that a procedure is not right/logic and that must/can be simplified... and they are really ferocious when defending their position they insist that a complicated process/task SHOULD (at their knowledge and mentality) should be that way...but the problem (and i dont blame them,, because fish don’t know they are in water ) is that they are UNABLE to see when something, sometimes is not following a logic, common sense order and its view of something is completely distort away of the simplicity....

But against all those risk i will continue to develop a little this subject… i know they are other threads in this and other forums… but i want this to be a little different from those… i know MANY non developers/programmers, linux enthusiast/nerd, geeks.. have many questions about this but due the piranhas… they just don’t dare to talk this way, therefore i want you to PLEASE keep open mind, grab simplicity in one hand and humility in the other.

Currently, there is a situation, where most android power user, their first itroduction to smartphone word coincide with the mass entrance of those product to the market, mostly 10-24yo users, most of them dont know Palm, Pocket PC, windows XP.... so they knever knew the "aalog way" of making some process, those proces evolved and became rally efficient, reliable and easy... but they went trew away due this fact...

those power users (not the geek ones) mostly use their smartphones and tablets merely for social apps, internet browsing, video, music and photos, therefore, most backup apps are oriented to backup those accounts data, music, photo and videos... and thats it. and because those user, most of them dont use the file structure...(my documents, my photos, my contacts...) even the OS itself dont promote or make use of that... and also relying in clound services (wich for me is not trust to involve a third in this equation for a ONLY/SINGLE backup (for me clouds services in backup is for on the go, if you are in the other side of the word, in the midle of a meeting and need to do a presentation adn your device got bad... only for that)

ok, i dont blame them.... but there is part opf the problem.... and now after too much bla bla bla,.. i enter directly to the core of the subject...

in a computer, a reliable, and efficient backup... a clone of the disc, or a programed copy of ALL the files
i remember palm OS, a full copy of the system was done with the desktop application of the device, then oll the other syncs, were just simple updates to current info that take no more than 2 minutes, 9 years using it, and had no issue, the few times i lost the device, i just bought a new one (the same model of course) and plug it, the system recognize is a new device (but the same model) and in the first sync ask me if i want to restore, i say yes, it ask me for a password and it restore EVERYTHING back as if nothing would have happened....
Also many palm os explorer had the option of copying all the files and to create a single one BUT from the PALM os itself....

in windows and linux... almost the same, but manually
just clone the disk, or like i currently do it in my computer and my work's computers an app copy allthe disk to a file (a uncompressed container, just for convenience, handly only one file instead a bunch)
if i want to restore anything, it just open like a regular folde i copy/restore everything or only what i need...

no hassle doing that, i have 24 computers in my work, and i weekly get 24 files in a single disk, each file one pc... simple... trouble free...

NOW IN ANDROID....
i connect the device, the only option, (suitable for...) to copy the files is MTP, but you know thats oriented for... "you know, dont mess with those files.. only take what you want.. fi you want and if you can find it, dont expect everything be updated.. jut grab what you can..." i dont know how to explain...

but i could just click copy to all the file si see there and then paste in my computer.. but YOU KNOW that not all the files are copied, for exaple one folder could be 30mb... when bunch copied, many times if i manually check the size of the copied folder.. is only 9mb... why?
also, i have a notepad app in the android device which export the backup of the notes to a folder... IN THE ANDROID, i use the explorer and i see the file, but form the computer, there is not file, it is like it has not been updated int he MTP view, i tried restarting and everything.... (see the problems)?

one way to have a loyal view and copying of the file structure is trough FTP wifi file transfer.. but it is slow.... when i enter to the phones memory trough writing FTP://10.192..bla bla.. i got a REAL view of that contains that portion i am viewing, but it is slow...

what options do we have in android...?

i know (i mean i KNOW) copying procedures trough USB debug and SDK process.. but.... remember.... not all who reads this spend hours and hours playing with these stuffs

currently, in my android devices i have the paid version of my backup pro, excellent and reliable app, but for me (like many other apps), only solves the part of backing up contacts, logs, system settings, bookmaks and photos and videos, and some apks..... but not the files itself

in my case i use android devices a lot like i use a computer, i mean i have my documents shortcut in the home screen, i have word files excel files, ppt, files and i open them by the file itself AND NOT THORUH THE APP, some could find this odd, but i am WAY more productive using it that way, way faster and can handle way more info in less time.

but... the problem when backing up the file....

There are many workarounds for bits and pieces as you have mentioned. You could use MyBackup or Helium to backup your apps, a custom launcher to backup your homescreen layout, the built in Google backup to backup some information.

Unfortunately, the options are limited for non-root users, especially when it comes to backing up your app data. Personally, the first thing I do with my new device is unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery and root the device.

I use Titanium Backup to backup all my apps and app data. And I use my custom recovery (TWRP) to make full image backups of my device. This is one of my main reasons for rooting. When I get a new device, I simply root it and restore all my apps with Titanium Backup. I use Nexus devices and rooting is pretty painless.

As for non-techy users, there really just is no simple and complete way to fully backup your device. It's unfortunate but that's just the way it is and people have choices. Many different Android manufacturers and iPhone. I believe that some manufacturers such as Samsung and HTC have PC software that will help you backup your device as well. For me, root is my solution. Full control over my device, the way it should be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones