• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G6 phone 2 year review! A great all round smartphone!

BillyiPad95

Lurker
Dec 10, 2019
Hey everyone, I have been using my LG G6 phone for 2 years now and I thought that I do a review about the LG G6, on the things that I like and dislike about the device and is it worth getting the LG G6 in 2020. :)

Disclaimer: I have been using the Android 7(Nougat) originally out of the box in the past 2 years since I have got the device, so I haven’t installed any security or Android updates on the LG G6.

REVIEW:

BUILD QUALITY:

I think the build quality is very good, durable, comfortable in the hands and the glass feels and looks really premium for a flagship of early 2017 and fast forward up to today, the build quality is still very good even though on the back, it is a fingerprint magnet especially on the Astro Black model that I have and it has scratches(not on the camera thankfully) but that is mainly my fault for not being careful as I should be with my devices but I would still use a case for when I am out and about just to be on the safe side if I do drop it.

The LG G6’s near bezel-less modern design was the 1st ever in the smartphone world in the early 2017 when it has got announced and 2 years later, it is still modern, nice and not out of date in my opinion but the competition has really caught up and even gone one or 2 better with truly and better bezels-less full screen phones like the OnePlus 7T Pro or the Samsung Galaxy S10.

Rating: 8/10

DISPLAY:

The LG G6 has a 5.7 inch FullVision 18:9 LCD display and has a screen resolution of 2880 x 1440(Quad HD) even though it is not a OLED/AMOLED, the screen definitely is really impressive, vibrant, gets very bright and the colours really pop especially while watching videos and playing games and the screen can get bright enough, so you will be able to see easily whatever you are doing on your LG G6 in broad sunlight and that 5.7 inch screen with small bezels even by today standards is still a big enough screen for everything that you want to do.

Rating: 9/10

PERFORMANCE:

It has the Snapdragon 821(with the Adreno 530 GPU) processor chipset from 2016 which it is 3 years old now and is still a quite powerful chip and LG G6 has 4GB of RAM which it is quite small in 2019 and going around the UI is fast, the animations is smooth and from doing your typical simple tasks like texting, calling, browsing the web, listening to music, watching videos to heavy demanding tasks multitasking in between apps/games, playing games and taking photos and recording videos.

I am really happy to say that after 2 years of using the LG G6, it is definitely still running well, more then fast, smooth enough even though over time it has gotten a little bit slower and laggy and gets warm but definitely not too hot to touch only while gaming, multitasking or using it while charging but it stays cool most of the time but ultimately it still does what I needed to with out any problems and with ease most of the time and the LG G6 is definitely still a great performance beast smartphone in 2019 even with the little bit outdated and still quite fast and capable 2016 Snapdragon 821 processor and only 4 GB of RAM in my opinion. :)

Rating 8.5/10

BATTERY LIFE:

The LG G6 is powered by a 3,300mAh battery and comparing to the 2019 smartphones battery sizes, it is quite small but in 2017 when it got released, it was a quite big battery size back in the time and after 2 years of usage, the battery life is definitely still pretty good, on a full charge, it can last me a few days if I just using it every now and again in the day and for a heavy usage meaning that I have used the LG G6 most of that day, the battery can last me most of the day up until the evening when I would have to charge the battery from empty up to full(100%) again from the USB Type C port.

In terms of screen on time, I am still getting a least 4 hours to 6 hours on average most of time mainly doing simple tasks like texting, calling, browsing the interwebs, watching videos and obviously I would get less screen on time when I do some heavy demanding tasks like gaming and taking photos and recording videos then it is more like 3 to 4 hours and charging the LG G6 from empty(0-10%) to full(100%), it takes less then 2 hours(1 hour and 40 minutes on average) with the default LG G6 fast charger that came in the box which is it still somewhat fast in 2019.

Rating: 10/10

CAMERA:

LG G6 has a three camera setup, two 13MP cameras on the rear/back(one is a standard one and the other one is the very useful wide angle one) and on the front, it has a 5MP front camera and lets just say that the camera on the front is really only good for your casual selfies and video chatting with your family and friends, not much more and the photos and videos are ok, not that great but have a bit of noise especially in the night time or in the bright lights.

Now onto the the rear cameras and I must say both of the 13MP cameras do take very good photos and videos, great natural colours, great quality all round and if you want to get a lot more in the photo or video, you can use the awesome wide angle camera and to be honest that is definitely my favourite feature in the cameras department because they have been countless of times in the past 2 years that with the standard camera that I could not get the whole thing in the shot/frame but with the wide angle camera, I could definitely get a lot more in the shot/frame and that definitely makes a huge difference and is really useful and speaking from the LG G6 two rear 13MP cameras alone, comparing to the flagships phones of 2019, it is obviously not as good but they are still really great cameras for taking photos and recording videos in 2019.

Rating: 9/10

SPEAKER:

I am definitely not a audiophile by any means but I think the single bottom speaker is quite good and has a good bass and can get pretty loud but it is not stereo, but it would definitely be nice to have 2 speakers on both sides of the smartphone because with a single bottom speaker, all the audio/sound is coming from one side which I don’t mind to be honest and with the earpiece speaker on the front, that’s quite good, I can hear the other person talking loud enough and quite clearly and has good enough sound quality on a phone call from the front earpiece speaker.

I don’t really have much to say about the speakers on the LG G6 other then the speakers are quite good but definitely not the best and plus most of the time I use earphones anyway.

Rating: 8/10

VERDICT:

Overall, The LG G6 smartphone is definitely a great phone that you absolutely won’t regret buying and using in 2019 and even next year in 2020 especially if you don’t want to spend the big money/bucks on the top of the line, high end, premium and really expensive(£700-£1300) flagships smartphones like the Galaxy S10, iPhone 11.

Lastly, the LG G6 won’t be the fastest phone in the world since it is nearly 3 years old and not have latest brand new features from the 2019 flagships and expensive phones but what you are getting for the price, honestly, the LG G6 really has a great balance in power and in battery life, making it the best of both worlds, it has a great set of features especially the awesome and really flexible triple camera setup(looking at you wide angle camera!!) and as I said before, the LG G6 is definitely a great all round phone for 2020! :)

OVERALL RATING: 9/10

Anyway, I have really enjoyed using the LG G6 phone in the past 2 years but now it is finally time to retire the legendary LG G6 now because my contact has ended with EE here in England and I am due for a upgrade.

So after lots of thinking in the last 2 weeks or soo, I am going to be getting the brand new Huawei P30 Pro phone as my new smartphone/daily driver for the next 2 or 3 years and it has finally arrived at home today which I really can’t wait and I am definitely very excited to use my brand new smartphone(Huawei P30 Pro) and maybe I will post a my 1st impressions of the Huawei P30 Pro thread at some point this week.

GOODBYE LG G6 AND HELLOOOOOOOO HUAWEI P30 PRO HAHA!!! :D:D

So yeah everyone, hopefully I have helped some people out there who are considering buying the LG G6 and I really hope you all have enjoyed reading my 2 year review of the LG G6 phone and if you have any questions about the LG G6 then feel free to comment down below and I will be more then happy to answer your questions. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones