• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG-H918 - lg ims has stopped

DerellLicht

Apr 20, 2017
I've had my LG V20 for over a year now... it has been working fine until this morning, when I've started getting a popup saying "lg ims has stopped", about every 10 seconds.
I've searched around Google for a solution to this, but cannot execute any of the solutions that they mention...

1. I have not installed any new apps on my phone in weeks now, so that's not the issue.

2. Many solutions say to call 277634#*# to open a config menu, then open 'IMS Settings' on this menu and change 'IP Version' to IPV4...
Unfortunately, while I can get to the config menu, if I open 'IMS Settings' menu, this error pops up, and switches me back to the previous menu...
This is nuts!!! Is there any way to actually fix this, other than factory reset, which I *really* don't want to do!!!!

Please Help??

I've had my LG V20 for over a year now... it has been working fine until this morning, when I've started getting a popup saying "lg ims has stopped", about every 10 seconds.
I've searched around Google for a solution to this, but cannot execute any of the solutions that they mention...

1. I have not installed any new apps on my phone in weeks now, so that's not the issue.

2. Many solutions say to call 277634#*# to open a config menu, then open 'IMS Settings' on this menu and change 'IP Version' to IPV4...
Unfortunately, while I can get to the config menu, if I open 'IMS Settings' menu, this error pops up, and switches me back to the previous menu...
This is nuts!!! Is there any way to actually fix this, other than factory reset, which I *really* don't want to do!!!!

Please Help??
try these suggestions:
https://appuals.com/fix-ims-service-has-stopped/

Upvote 0
Later note: the phone was running *really* hot, which was making me nervous, so I went ahead and did the full Factory Reset on this phone...
After doing this, and going through the setup screens, but *not* installing any of my own apps, the phone is *still* giving this warning every 10 seconds...
ok after a factory reset and it is still doing this, it does not bode well for your phone. there is not much you can do at this point. maybe it is time to move on. this phone was made in 2016. most phones have a life span of 3-4 years, so you are way past that point. maybe it is time to upgrade the phone.

Upvote 0
ok after a factory reset and it is still doing this, it does not bode well for your phone. there is not much you can do at this point. maybe it is time to move on. this phone was made in 2016. most phones have a life span of 3-4 years, so you are way past that point. maybe it is time to upgrade the phone.
Well, something might be wrong with the phone itself, that would be unfortunate...

Either way, 2016 is *not* actually old for a mobile phone except in this modern world of "throw everything out and replace it after a year"...
I definitely want a phone with an extended battery, which is why I got this one - and it's been quite excellent! I recharge the battery every two weeks...

One thing I was wondering, was whether LG was actually shutting down some essential services or something?? I know they've dropped out of the cell-phone market, and certain other apps are not quite working any more; for example, I cannot search for new fonts via their app any more...

So you also feel that 'factory reset' was the last try for solving this issue?

Upvote 0
Okay, here's an update... I switched back to an old phone, then powered up my V20, and this error no longer occurred... I also was able finally to get to the 'IMS Settings' menu (after dialing 277634#*# as recommended at all sites for this issue)...
I tried each of these settings (recommended by various sources):
> set IP Version to IPV4V6 (default is IPV6V4)
> set IP Version to IPV6
> disable VoLTE

In each of these cases, once I inserted a valid SIM and rebooted, this error message began occurring again.

So my best guess at this point, is that LG has simply disabled something on the V20, and I just won't be able to use it any more, at least with MetroPCS/TMobile...

Upvote 0
'in the cell phone world 2016 is old. you will find that as the os gets older, more and more apps will stop working or slow down. your battery probably will need to be replaced. getting a new battery for the phone, will get harder and harder to find. so the actual electronics maybe ok, but using as an every day phone, you will find start to find more and more issues like this will arise. if you can deal with that, fine. but i would still suggest that you look into upgrading your phone in he near future.

Upvote 0
'in the cell phone world 2016 is old. you will find that as the os gets older, more and more apps will stop working or slow down. your battery probably will need to be replaced. getting a new battery for the phone, will get harder and harder to find. so the actual electronics maybe ok, but using as an every day phone, you will find start to find more and more issues like this will arise. if you can deal with that, fine. but i would still suggest that you look into upgrading your phone in he near future.

Actually, the battery is the primary reason that I want to keep that phone... I have an extended battery in it, which works beautifully; I go a little over two weeks at a time without charging the battery... I definitely am not going to go back to this modern world where they consider it wonderful if the battery lasts an entire day... that is bulls#*@, and completely unacceptable...

I think the problem that I'm having in this case, though, is that LG has gotten out of the mobile phone business, so I think they are disabling services of their own on the phones...

Upvote 0
well for me as long as i can get home and be able to charge my phone, i'm fine with that. i am a power user and i need my phone primarily for gps as well as to play games, stream video and the usual going online, texting and and doing emails. so i definitely use my phone a lot thru out the course of the day at work.

all of those things will deplete the battery and thus will need to be charged and thus will deplete its battery life. i am accustomed to this by now. i do wish that batteries were replaceable though......you can thank crapple for the strategy of going with non-replaceable batteries.

but it is not just the battery, things will slow down to a crawl on your phone. apps will cease to be supported or not work any more. simple things will not work, once the os gets old enough. it is just how the cellphone business is now days. it is not like the old days when things were built to last. planned obsolesce is the way of the future, unfortunately. but prices of phones have come down to a degree, and i know that you should be able to find a decent budget phone that will suit your needs.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Okay, but in the meantime, my original question was about this error message, on this phone, and what might be the cause of it...
Does anyone have any insight on this? Is this happening to *everyone* who has one of the LG V20 phones?
That is why I asked on the LG V20 forum...

A possible insight: Given what you've described, I'm thinking LG did something, but not to the actual phones themselves. It's more likely they've turned off the servers that the V20s are trying to to connect to, and that's causing this "LG IMS" service to crash.

You say it can't find fonts in the LG app any more. And that the error occurred after you inserted a SIM, and the phone went on-line. That does sound like LG has ceased the online servers that this phone uses.

Really if this has happened, the only fix would be to root the phone, and install an alternative custom ROM(if available), that doesn't depend on LG's servers.

A while back I did see reports from several users of LeTV phones, that repeatedly showed "NOT FOUND" errors. And that was because the online servers and services these phones used had been ceased. And like LG, LeTV are now out of the smart-phone business.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Update: someone on another forum found a video which addresses this issue... the video itself is useless, just repeats the other non-working solutions...

However, the comments below the video show that (a) thousands of people are experiencing this issue with LG phones, and (b) folks have spoken with LG; they confirm that it's an issue on their end, and they are working on it, hope to have a solution in 24-48 hours...

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
Update: someone on another forum found a video which addresses this issue... the video itself is useless, just repeats the other non-working solutions...

However, the comments below the video show that (a) thousands of people are experiencing this issue with LG phones, and (b) folks have spoken with LG; they confirm that it's an issue on their end, and they are working on it, hope to have a solution in 24-48 hours...

So it is something LG have broken on their servers then. Hopefully they can get it fixed ASAP. At least LG are still running customer service for their mobile devices.

I've never seen any LG phones for myself. Around these parts, they only seem to do household products, like washing machines, fridge freezers, and microwave ovens.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
So it is something LG have broken on their servers then. Hopefully they can get it fixed ASAP. At least LG are still running customer service for their mobile devices.

I've never seen any LG phones for myself. Around these parts, they only seem to do household products, like washing machines, fridge freezers, and microwave ovens.
Aye, the only reason that I discovered their phones, was because I was looking for a phone that had a removable battery, and had extended batteries available... there are very few any more... I found the LG V20, and I found a 10,000mAh battery for it, which is *really* wonderful!! I go over two weeks at a time without having to charge the battery, even if I'm actively using it, as I was last Saturday... I definitely pray that they can figure out a fix for this...

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
If you're able to, I think it's high time to root it, and run a custom ROM. I will say up front that no community camera app is as good as the one from the factory ROM. But I can also say that I've never even seen such an error pop up in my time owning my us996 v20, and I got mine secondhand to boot.

Okay, I'm willing to consider this... I've never rooted an Android phone before; I never really had any reason to bother with it, and I prefered my phone to be reliable, and not easily hackable... but at this point, my options are limited, and I *was* a firmware engineer in my previous career ...

So... can @codezer0 or anyone else point us to a guide for rooting the device, and info on available options for ROMs for the LG V20 ?? I previously looked into rooting my previous Galaxy S5, but they had hooks in it to confound that effort... I don't know what the LG options are...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones