• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Support: not good

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
Support has always been important to me. I'm certainly no genius, and I hate knowing more than the support person that's "helping" me. My previous phone's maker, HTC, was notorious for horrendous support. I was hoping not to have a repeat with LG. Now I'm not saying that LG's support is horrendous, but it isn't very good. I've been trying to find out where I can buy a Qualcomm certified Quick Charger 4. Our phone comes with the older Quick Charge 3 but is built to use the newest Quick Charge 4. I've read about it in various internet articles and the Qualcomm website confirmed it. I wrote to LG asking where I can buy a Quick Charger 4 for our phone. The first response said that the phone supports wireless charging and I should contact the manufacturers of such products. I have no idea where that came from. So I wrote a second time, being more specific about buying a wired, plugin Quick Charger 4. The second reply was better, but not by much. This one said, "...it is encouraged to only use the dedicated charger for the unit although capabilities may be supported such as in this case for quick charging." I think, from her answer, that she doesn't know that the LG V40 comes with a Quick Charger. Then she says, "...regarding the charger, such may be obtained from...". Surprise, surprise, none of the sites have Quick Charger 4 and only one site had any charger at all.
So be prepared if you need support for our phone. You would probably be better off asking your carrier or posting here rather than asking LG.
(I just had to vent!)

Reactions: lunatic59
well I'll say this to their credit - like most people that read a teleprompter on the phone. There isn't one you can buy in the US.

As far as I know - QC3 and QC4 at the source are technically the same. IE the source output will still max out at 20V dual path and up to 3 amps I think. SO as to push over 100 watts to the mobile for a short period of time. The major differences comes into play where they 2 systems negotiate a settledown rate - and slowly tapper off. Apparently QC3 controllers will want a 200mV step and the QC4 controller will tolerate a 20mV step. QC4 works perfectly fine with QC3.

QC4 however also understand USB-PD systems so if it gets plugged to something like a pixel 3XL or a Google tab - which uses USB-PD - it will negotiate on that standard and deliver as needed.

So your new mobile charger will talk to say your new USB-C PD enabled HP laptop for example.

IT also means our V40's will tolerate the output and negotiation of a USB-PD charger output. SO in theory you could power up your V40 off the USB-PD socket output of your neighbors Pixel 3XL - and it will still fast charger to a point. However a QC3 charger would do more for you.

That is the bigger differences between 3 and 4 as I understand it. And I don't see a UL listed for same QC4 enabled charging device on the market.

If you feel like you have to get something - wait another tick or 2 and get something that is QC4+ rated.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That's fine, no argument from me. But you might want to check these out:
1. https://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/mobile-computing/features/quick-charge
2. www.androidauthority.com/lg-v40-features-908827
3. https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/21/devices-support-qualcomm-quick-charge-4-0/
I try to double check anything I post unless it's just my opinion. :D

No you're good, in that the mobile devices support it. that's correct. There is no wall wort made - UL listed - for sale in the US that supports it - yet.

or so it seems. That's why the wall wort we got was QC3 rated. In Korea, or Japan, we would have gotten a QC4 wall wort.

Does that make more sense.

And then what I was trying to get at - a QC4 wall worl, or battery bank, or car plug - won't charge the V40 any faster than a QC3 one. And the battery life extending properties - are supposedly the same.

What is USB-PD @Napalm? First I've heard of it...

USB-PD - is USB Power Delivery. It's a different standard set by the USB consortium when they setup the specs for USB 3.1 and USB C (and now USB C 3.2 but that's another thing) USB PD lets a device negotiate though the controller for more voltage and current down the primary rails of a USB connection.

Typically used today on USB C enabled Laptops and tablets. LIke my HP envy 15 at home - if I want to I can get a USB C dock for it - so that through the USB C port only - I can then branch off a Display port, a set of USB ports, a 100/1000 ethernet port - and I can provide 80 watts of power to the laptop all though the one USB C port. The 80 watts of power portion - is USB-PD.

SO while QC has always been Qualcomms thing - and it is what MOTO calls Dash Charge - it was designed around mobile phones and tablets. USB -PD was developed by a different group but similar concepts - for Laptops, and tablets, and Mobiles, and whatever else.

SO one thing the QC4 enabled V40 can do - is get the QC charge speeds and benefits while plugged to a laptop that has USB-PD capabilities. They finally bridged the gap.

Upvote 0
well I'll say this to their credit - like most people that read a teleprompter on the phone. There isn't one you can buy in the US.

As far as I know - QC3 and QC4 at the source are technically the same. IE the source output will still max out at 20V dual path and up to 3 amps I think. SO as to push over 100 watts to the mobile for a short period of time. The major differences comes into play where they 2 systems negotiate a settledown rate - and slowly tapper off. Apparently QC3 controllers will want a 200mV step and the QC4 controller will tolerate a 20mV step. QC4 works perfectly fine with QC3.

QC4 however also understand USB-PD systems so if it gets plugged to something like a pixel 3XL or a Google tab - which uses USB-PD - it will negotiate on that standard and deliver as needed.

So your new mobile charger will talk to say your new USB-C PD enabled HP laptop for example.

IT also means our V40's will tolerate the output and negotiation of a USB-PD charger output. SO in theory you could power up your V40 off the USB-PD socket output of your neighbors Pixel 3XL - and it will still fast charger to a point. However a QC3 charger would do more for you.

That is the bigger differences between 3 and 4 as I understand it. And I don't see a UL listed for same QC4 enabled charging device on the market.

If you feel like you have to get something - wait another tick or 2 and get something that is QC4+ rated.

I thought that QC 4 and USB-PD were two different standards and our LG V40 is certified compatible for QC 4. It isn't that QC4 devices can also use USB-PD, but that QC4 chargers can charge USB-PD devices. I think that's what I read. Again, no argument, just want to understand.

Upvote 0
I thought that QC 4 and USB-PD were two different standards and our LG V40 is certified compatible for QC 4. It isn't that QC4 devices can also use USB-PD, but that QC4 chargers can charge USB-PD devices. I think that's what I read. Again, no argument, just want to understand.

I might have read it wrong as well but my understanding is the big deal with QC4 and later 4+ is bridging the gap of USB-PD. To where I suspect most new QC4 rated power supplies (be they wall worts or battery banks etc) will carry both certs on them. Something I could see ANKER doing.

SO it would be QC4+ and USB PD enabled. I'd buy one of those to carry with.

Incidentally my HP laptop at work has the USB 3.1 with USB PD v1, when I connect to that with the right cord my V40 says it's fast charging. My v20 wouldn't.

OH and another thing about USB -PD. Implemented correctly you can jack in and power off the device even if it's off. SO you can sacrifice your laptop for example to charge your mobile. I've done this a few times on the go. Now that worked on my V20 also but not at any sort of speed.

OH and the fast chargers isn't as fast as it is with the wall wort - and that's probably the port limit on the laptop. I've not tried this with my personal laptop which is a generation newer.

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
Give it another month or so

QC 4 is only a year old as I understand it
I just called Qualcomm's product information. Of course I got an answering machine and will see if they call back. I asked where I could purchase a Qualcomm 4 Quick Charger in the USA. If/when they call back, I'll post the answer here.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones