• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories LG V20 Accessories

Napalm

Android Expert
Jul 28, 2010
Memphis, TN
Thought there should be another thread. Granted there are possible lots of threads on accessories in general I thought I would start one on the V20 pages just for stuff that works well/better for the V20.

I know cables are general enough but again - there are many choices.

What I bought - I orange E - 10ft/3.3 m USB 3.0-C Cables. why the 3.0 style - I use them as much for charging as for data and I wanted to be able to do both. Also my work laptop has usb 3.0/3.0 charging dedicated ports and those kick out more power than normal 2.0's and I wanted to ensure they handshake correctly.

ALso pulling 128 gb of media though the cable I wanted as much throughput as I could get.

So review - they look good, they seem decent. Wires sound like they are thin on all USB C cables - but these pass the tests by Benson Leung and seem well regarded. HOwever - didn't sync up on the charger provided by LG the first time I plugged them up.

In fact I pluged the one cabled in twice - and it wouldn't even register to charging. Took the 3rd try to get it to register it would charger. battery was at 75 or less % by the way. 4th try - went to charging - took about 30 seconds to move to fast charging. SO silver cable worked.

Tried the black one. I got 2 by the way, amazon promo or something price was under monoprice for similar cables. So trial 2, again first plug in - nothing. Yes I'll admit I even flipped the usb C plug over - dumb yes but what the hey. Second plug - nothing. Great. Third plug - charging - and 30 seconds - fast charging.

I left it for 10 minutes and it stayed in fast charging mode - didnt get warm, neither did the LG charger - phone got to 90 something %. I've now used that black cable at home on the LG charger for 3 days with no events and it takes to fast charging on the first plug.

Reactions: FAHAB13
So accessorie test 2 and 3.

test 2 - monoprice USB 3.0 to C cables. 6 ft. I forget which series but they are more or less the same. I didn't buy this cable it's a coworkers that he bought for use with his nexus 6p or whatever.

anyway - testing on laptop dock next to my LG supplied cable.

first plug again does not move to charging mode, second plug in did. odd but well it was odd and familiar.

data transfer - usb 3 to phone - 12 mb FLAC audio file - took under 7 seconds. might have been faster than that - most of that's on the laptop honestly and it was to a SSD in a HP elitebook with a I7 whatever and 16gb of ram.

I got the same results with my Iorange E 10 ft cable.

quality of build - very good. Had I not gotten a discount with amazon and the like I would have bought a monoprice cable instead of the I Orange E.

Pluged to the high power port on the dock stand - phone went to fast charging mode. so win.

LG supplied cable is a USB 2 base cable - speed was a bit different. it does negotiate charging quickly though.

Test 3 - anker 4.8 amp car plug - NON QC enabled model. why did I get the non QC model - my wifey is an iphail user and thus she occasionally plugs us with my car and I don't want to deal with it. Also I don't think I need a QC model in the car and well come to that in a bit.

Cable used - I Orange E 10 ft USB 3.0 to C. first plug - goes charging and split bit later - fast charging. win.

going from 70ish % to 100 % in about 20 or so minutes of driving. I wasn't honestly paying that much attention.

What I was doing for the test: waze navigation with traffic alerts, music though audio port to car using spotify (sounding awesome for a mobile by the way) - streamed audio - and kicked a phone call in the middle of all that.

battery still charged - so it more than keeps up with high activity drainage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones