• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Linked contacts display name issue

Been searching around for a while and found some posts with no replies on other forums for this annoying issue.

I have my contacts linked manually with my Facebook friends list. Pictures are working and everything seems fine on that front.

In the link screen I can hit the drop down to choose the contact name to display in the People widget, and I can choose between my phone contact name and the Facebook profile name.

The problem is that if I choose the Facebook name (usually first and last, which I like, since in my phone I have some people in under nicknames, or just first name, etc.) it only temporarily remembers that change. Within a day or so I will open up People and the display name will be back to the original.

Example:

Contact in phone named John, linked to a facebook account called John Smith
In the Link screen I click the drop down for his name, and choose John Smith (which is labled as a facebook account) as the Contact Name
The next day when I open People the contact is listed as simply John again.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to go through my whole list retyping peoples names, especially when there is a feature that should make it a simple pick list.

One last bump hoping someone else has had this issue. I just tried the following to fix it

In People went Menu-View
Checked "show only people with phone numbers"
Checked Facebook Contacts
UNchecked Phone contacts
This gave me a long list of all my fb friends with associated phone numbers
Set the display names to use the Facebook acct name (John Smith) from the name I had entered in my phone (John)
Inside View checked Phone contacts and unchecked facebook contacts (I dont call everyone on my fb so don't need all of them)
The display names were still set correctly. (John Smith)
10 minutes later after the phone had gone to sleep mode I woke it up and the contacts had reverted back to the local phone display name, not the facebook name. (back to just showing John)

This is a really annoying issue and it is really my only complaint on the phone so far. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

EDIT:

Some other information. It looks like contacts that have both a Google and Facebook account linked to them revert to the Google account name, not the Phone contact name. So if the phone is John, google is John Smith and Facebook is John M Smith it will revert back to just John Smith when other contacts revert to whatever the phone contact is. It seems like there is a priority order for the source of contacts and Google trumps everything.

Upvote 0
Yep I have the same issue on my HTC Desire ... got a few contacts whose names keep reverting.

I have 3 or 4 different sources of contact names: Facebook, Google Accounts and phone contacts stored in Google.

For contact "Nick", the name resets back from the Google contact to the Facebook name.

For contact "Meg", the name resets back from the Google contact to the Google Account.

For contact "Kit", the name resets from Google contact to Google Account, ignoring Facebook.

For contact "Tee", the name resets from Facebook to Google Account, ignoring Google contact.

So basically Google Contact => Facebook => Google Account

Oddly my mum's account name changes, but not my dad's. So if I try to sms "mum" - the contact list says it doesn't know who I mean unless I put her actual name in. But Dad's Google contact name sticks. Weird.

The "people" list has a few sync errors. I guess this is one of them - I've already nagged HTC about the problem with the Facebook contact photos never updating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones