• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help listening to dab radio?

davo26

Android Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2011
hi

ive got the 'tune-in' radio app which seems ok if i stay in one place, but drops signal if im commuting. so i thought id try intrenet streaming as i get unlimited data with giffgaff.

i went to the bbc site, 6 music, and pressed 'listen live'. but nothing happens. am i missing a plug in or something?

or will it be nowhere near as good as buffering through the app anyway?

thanks

hi

ive got the 'tune-in' radio app which seems ok if i stay in one place, but drops signal if im commuting. so i thought id try intrenet streaming as i get unlimited data with giffgaff.

i went to the bbc site, 6 music, and pressed 'listen live'. but nothing happens. am i missing a plug in or something?

or will it be nowhere near as good as buffering through the app anyway?

thanks

I think you have a few things mixed up. As I understand it, DAB is still radio wave based, like FM, but it is encoded in such a way that it is a digital signal, not analogue. I.e. DAB is not the same as an internet stream. Unfortunately, the Desire HD only has an FM receiver, not DAB.

However, as far as I'm aware, Tune-in is internet streams only and does not make use of the FM receiver. So if you're getting a flaky signal, I'm afraid that's your 3G conntection and streaming it from their site won't make a difference. (It probably is a plugin issue though - it appears to be a flash based player, so it wouldn't surprise me that it's temperamental on our phones).

What you could try is going to Tune-in's settings and increasing the buffer length from the default of 5 seconds to the max of 30 seconds. There will be a longer delay when you first hit play, but that would make drops in signal less noticeable, so long as they weren't too long :)

Reactions: john_g and D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones