• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Little Droid Text Dudes are Missing???

Weird.

What's the error it gives you when you long press and try to rename the app? Permission denied?

No it lets me change it and it lets me add the other apk to /apps, but it does not take after reboot or sync...still have the same texting as before.

If you go into a terminal emulator, and type "su" do you get the ...has been granted superuser... message?

No, but I get the #

ETA...when I get it all moved, I can click on mms.apk, it gives an option to install, but it fails. Also cannot figure out how to add, copy, or change permissions. The OG messaging.apk has a (sys) next to it, but the new mms.apk does not and from what I can tell, I can't change or add permissions, just view them. :thinking:

Upvote 0
You don't need to click on it after you move it. You definitely need to get the permissions changed.

In your terminal program, do:

su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
chmod 755 /system/app/Mms.apk
sync
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

You can do this with Root Explorer by long pressing on the app, hitting Permissions and modifying the checkboxes. Sorry, never used that free app.

You need to get rid of the messaging.apk file, or rename it.

Upvote 0
You don't need to click on it after you move it. You definitely need to get the permissions changed.

In your terminal program, do:

su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
chmod 755 /system/app/Mms.apk
sync
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

was that to modify permissions?, cause it didn't work either. Text Messaging is still in the App drawer and takes me to the original app (even though Messaging is renamed with .bak), Messaging is now missing from the App drawer (app that used to contain, Universal Inbox, Texting, and Hotmail links)... I'm totally lost:eek:

Upvote 0
Whoops, you're working off a stock install... I don't think the texting app is Messaging.apk.

In any event, it should still work and I'm confused as to why it's not letting you modify permissions. You can rename the messaging app back... but I have no idea why you're getting such grief over permissions when you were able to copy the app there (which requires superuser permissions). Maybe try Root Explorer and return it if it doesn't work for you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones