• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Loading ROM with Clockwork and Kernel with Amon Ra

kast107

Jul 30, 2010
Hello everyone,

New to rooting, and BTW thanks to all the devs and fellow Android users who have been a GREAT help during this process!

Anyways, are there any issues if you loaded a ROM with Clockwork, then use Amon Ra to load a kernel, or vice versa?

I rooted using SimpleRoot w/ Nand Unlock and that flashed Clockwork Recovery. I flashed the stock ROM w/ Root using CW. Now I want to flash a kernel, but I hear Clockwork doesn't wipe cache correctly, so I wanted to use Amon Ra (flashed via Rom Manager).

Will I have issues with this? In other words, can I load a ROM with one recovery and use another recovery for the kernel?

Also, are there any kernels recommended? I'm leaning towards toast or kingkernel...

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone,

New to rooting, and BTW thanks to all the devs and fellow Android users who have been a GREAT help during this process!

Anyways, are there any issues if you loaded a ROM with Clockwork, then use Amon Ra to load a kernel, or vice versa?

I rooted using SimpleRoot w/ Nand Unlock and that flashed Clockwork Recovery. I flashed the stock ROM w/ Root using CW. Now I want to flash a kernel, but I hear Clockwork doesn't wipe cache correctly, so I wanted to use Amon Ra (flashed via Rom Manager).

Will I have issues with this? In other words, can I load a ROM with one recovery and use another recovery for the kernel?

Also, are there any kernels recommended? I'm leaning towards toast or kingkernel...

Thanks in advance!

I say you do both with RA, some people reported that clockwork is not wiping properly resulting in system malfunction. Idk if this have been corrected.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you've done a great job with your research. Flashing with Amon is fine. Remember to make a nandroid first, and that you cannot restore a CWM or RM nandroid using Amon, and vice versa. When you say the toast kernel, you mean netarchy-toastmod, right? Either of those you mentioned should work well with a rooted stock ROM. Be careful to get the correct one, as there are separate versions for stock, Fresh, and Damage Control.

Reactions: kast107
Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Yea it's ok to do that. I would recommend the king's bfs kernel.

Reactions: kast107
Upvote 0
Sounds like you've done a great job with your research. Flashing with Amon is fine. Remember to make a nandroid first, and that you cannot restore a CWM or RM nandroid using Amon, and vice versa. When you say the toast kernel, you mean netarchy-toastmod, right? Either of those you mentioned should work well with a rooted stock ROM. Be careful to get the correct one, as there are separate versions for stock, Fresh, and Damage Control.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Yes. I typed netarchy incorrectly and failed to put it back in, but that's the one. I did see the 3 versions (or six, if you count the CFS), but I definitely downloaded the right one. Thanks for the heads up, though!

I did read that the Nandroids for CW and Amon were incompatible, which kind of sucks, but I enjoy the Amon interface a little more anyways, especially after seeing the alleged "Clockwork bricking" threads from a few versions ago. I'm sure they've updated CW since then, but I would still rather be safe than sorry.

As for the Nandroid backups, I think I am developing OCD with those. I just finished full root on Tuesday and I think I already have like 5 CW backups on my card. LOL

Like I said, I was just concerned since I installed the Stock Root ROM with CW, but would like to do an actual full wipe with Amon before installing the kernel, also with Amon. After that, I'll kick back and enjoy my Android and Froyo goodness.

Again, thanks for the info!

Upvote 0
how do you restore a nandroid backup then if your using amon? sorry if these are dumb questions, i have never used anything but clockwork and i don't think it's wiping my dalvik cache correctly

I'm switching to Amon via Rom Manager. Then booting into Amon Recovery and creating a new backup with Amon.

After that, I'll go back into Amon, wipe the cache and proceed with installing a kernel.

Reboot.

Then (again it may be my OCD talking), I'll create another nandroid backup using Ra. This way, I'll have one before and after the kernel.

I'm a noob to all this, so does this sound like the right way to go about doing this? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones