1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Locale Alternative?

Last Updated:

1. varaonaid

varaonaid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I'm about to get my first Android phone and I'm wondering what your favorite alternative to Locale is? I'm seeing reviews that are less and less favorable and for a $10 app, it out to be darn amazing in my book.

If it's fairly reliable, I'd love a location based solution but hearing your thoughts and experiences would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy Well-Known Member

I love locale, when it works right. Haven't read the reviews, but when it works, its awesome. I do have issues with it.

There are one or two others out there (maybe more?) but none of them are flawless :( Set Profile is the other one I used, but Locale is much better.

3. drabidea

drabidea Well-Known Member

Tasker. It is better then Locale. Beta and Free for now. It will be 4ish dollars when it goes into the market.

Can do lots of things well.

4. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

I gave up on Locale even before they raised the price to ridiculous. I doubt I would have kept using it if they paid me $10.

The timed settings in Timeriffic work just fine for my use.

5. timerrific is free but I think its time based not gps based

6. RyanB

RyanB Guest

You are correct that it is time based, but it works *quite* well if you live on a regular schedule like I do.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

7. Aladar

Aladar Member

Which brings me to question.. Can I run Locale without WiFi? It didn't seem to be able to locate me with GPS without connection on Desire..

8. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

Tasker is way cool. I've had a few bugs using it, but they have been do to HTC Sense UI, or caused by my own dumb setup. Have you ever written a batch file, VBS script, or just understand flow-control of how you want something done? Tasker allows you to do a lot of things on your phone, 'YOUR WAY'! As for location and WiFi, Tasker has a 'WiFi Near' feature which might intrigue you. There are some examples of what Tasker can do on the Tasker WiKi. Have fun.

9. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

It is possible to run Locale without Wifi, but it works much better with Wifi on.

10. Aladar

Aladar Member

It refuses to load my location via GPS - it just says it's finding the location, but nothing happens..

11. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

In order to use GPS, you need to have a relatively good view of the sky (through a window or normal door).

12. Aladar

Aladar Member

Ah, that may be it. Stupid me. :)

13. varaonaid

Ummm, never written a script but used to run Linux on my laptop a few years ago so had to do some scriptyish stuff. Hopefully I can figure Tasker out. It sounds really cool. I'm looking forward to the native Google Voice integration which is on "wish list/to do list" for the project.

14. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I'll second that. I do a lot more with Tasker than I ever did with Locale.

15. bprutzman

bprutzman Member

I can't seem to find Tasker in the Market for my Moto Droid. Is this app not available on the Market?

16. varaonaid

No, it isn't available yet in the market because the developer wants to work on it more before he presents it in the market from what I understand. When it does, it'll be $3-4 he said. But I'm told it's stable but in beta and you can download the latest version from his website/forums here:

Dinglisch Forums - Latest Version (0.20b)

17. zurloid

zurloid Active Member

LocationBot is only 0.99 British pounds and can set WiFi, volume, auto-sync, vibrate etc according to your location. The free version LocationBotLite allows 2 locations to be configured e.g. HOME and WORK. Location is taken from GPS (if available), or network (fallback when GPS unavailable).

It's an ongoing project (at time of writing) so I'd be grateful for any feedback.

LocationBot

18. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Well-Known Member

Is anyone still using Locale? I thought everyone abandoned it when the paid version was 100 times more buggie than the beta. I believe most people have gone to "Setting Profiles" which is free and extremely configurable. Somewhat of a learning curve but you can do amazing things with it.

19. steelersmb

steelersmb Well-Known Member

It's out now and it's awesome.

20. kpantz

kpantz Well-Known Member

I'm loving Setting Profiles. You can do pretty much anything with it. It can even function as cron if you need it to!

My favorite use so far? Automatically firing a text message to the Mrs. when I reach a point that's about 15 minutes from my house (but only between 3-7 PM Mon-Fri) so she knows when I'm close to being home from work. Usually a "Thank GOD" reply ensues (we have a 4 year old and a 1year old). :)

The location aspect of it isn't perfect (sometimes triggers early or untriggers late), but I've yet to be on the wrong profile at the wrong location, and that's really what I'm after. Locale can eat it. :D

21. kpantz

kpantz Well-Known Member

Oh, and not to mention...the Setting Profiles developers are actively involved in the support community and act directly on requests. Very cool.

22. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member