• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lock screen location wrong, driving me mad!

New Mrs S

Lurker
May 23, 2016
Screenshot_20160523-113432_1.jpg
Hi guys,
Hope you can help - I've exhausted every setting and method I can find or think of... I recently went to Portugal (Carvoeiro) and since coming back (2 weeks ago) my lockscreen is stuck on that location (I live in Cornwall, UK, currently in Bristol, so the location in screenshot is correct!). My widgets on my home screen are fine, I don't have an accuweather.com app (though have tried downloading it, setting my home location in it, to no avail).
I've cleared my browsing history, checked all location settings, used Google maps with GPS on, refreshed widgets.
I can't work out how to update, or even change/remove the lockscreen widget tho, I've removed the wallpaper weather & clock widget and it doesn't seem to be connected to the lockscreen one.

Hope someone can help, it's driving me mad, I'd rather just remove it than have it reminding me I'm not on my honeymoon anymore!! ;)

Thanks all! View attachment 105198

I suspect it's using WiFi location rather than precise GPS, as that would likely cause excessive battery drain, and you don't need to know where you are to the exact meter for weather info anyway. Some apps might go on IP address geo-location, rather than WiFi, and if that's wrong.

I've had WiFi location info been hopelessly wrong before now. Like I was in the UK, Bristol actually, and it had me as been in Hong Kong, where I had been a few days previously.Or I've been in Beijing, and it's had me as been in Moscow. I'm sure we've had other posts as well, with WiFi location putting people on the wrong continent completely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones