• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help lock screen remains partially lit

RubbaDukee

Lurker
May 17, 2013
When I lock my screen under any circumstance I've tested the main screen goes black, but it appears that it's only partial. I presume this may be the backlight that is still on. Under fairly low light I can tell that the phone screen is still partially active and to me it looks a very dark shade of red. When I hit the button to light the screen to unlock it goes 'true' black for a split second and then the display comes on. After another key press or timeout it again goes back to a pseudo-blackout. I've killed every non-essential app, tried from after a reboot and just left it to see, messing with any lock screen or display option that seems reasonable, charging/not charging, nothing seems to let it blackout like it's supposed to. I don't believe this was from the very first day (had it about 2-1/2 weeks now) cause it is readily noticeable at night while using it as an alarm and I would have picked up on it the first night. I haven't done a factory reset, but of course would like to avoid that. Concerned cause obviously it has to be a continual battery drain and that's never useful and mainly in fear that it could burn out some hardware associated with having it lit non-stop and phones don't usually happen to be all that cheap (plus I friggin' love it). Any help or suggestions for me to try would be greatly appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones