• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

longer usb cable?

The maximum USB cable length (total, connector to connector) is 5 meters (around 16 feet). You can buy 10 foot USB cables with a female connector on one end and a male on the other, to act as an extension for the existing cable. A 15 foot cable, unless your existing cable is less than 1.4 feet long, would exceed the spec (and probably not work). There are companies that will make a cable to order, but that would cost you a lot more per foot. (Of course, any extension cable that, with the existing cable, would be less than 5 meters, would also work.)

Upvote 0
I have one of those extended usb cables with a female connector that I bought off eBay that didn't work too well.Sometimes it charges and sometimes it doesn't.It's just really a pain in the butt if I wanna use my tablet while laying in bed and it's on low battery with such a short usb cable.Where can I buy these? Any links?

Upvote 0
I own this cable from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-Cable-Micro-Meters/dp/B003ES5ZSW

Don't let the cost deceive you, it is a very high quality cable. I tested that 6 foot cable with my Nexus 7 and a inline USB voltage monitor against the factory cable and there is no negative impact on the amperage.

Always remember to use an adapter that supplies at least 2 amps, a regular phone charger or computer USB port will never fully charge the N7 especially when being used.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones