• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking at the Moto X, Nex 6, perhaps LG G4. Opinions?

stuarta

Android Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2011
Hi guys,

Up for renewal on my ageing N4 and just wondering if I should upgrade to the N6. Been tempted as well by the Moto X or whether I should wait for the LG G4.

What's the initial thoughts on the N6 like, what's battery like and so on? Would want to try one I think first to test the size. Spent weekend at a concert popping my N4 in and our jeans pocket and I guess it's not going to be so easy with the N6.

Do you wear skinny jeans? I have no issue with the size and my pockets. Of course, I've been pocketing my Nexus 7 before the 6, so I suppose I'm accustomed to it.

The instant I pulled my N6 out of the box, I was blown away. Nothing about it disappointed me. The size was daunting at first, but now I can't pick up a "regular" phone and not feel like it's going to break in my grip. The N6 makes everything else feel like a play toy.

4 months later, and I'm still in love. The display is gorgeous. The speakers are phenomenal. The size feels just right. I suppose if you're coming from a "skinned" Android (like a Samsung or HTC) that you may feel the stock feature set is lacking. I, personally, find it more than adequate and pleasing to use.

Not gonna sit here and wax poetic on my Nexus 6. If you like Nexus devices, you'll love the Nexus 6.

Upvote 0
Yep I don't want a skinned one and like the idea that the N6 will always get the latest updates before anything else. Battery is the main thing for me. For some reason the missus' N4 battery is amazing compared to mine, but she is desperate to get the N6 and I'll only allow her to get the same as me (makes helper her easier). Used to the size as well on my N7 although don't carry it in my pocket and hate using an iPhone as I find it far too small. Reckon all phones will be that size soon anyway, seem to be going bigger as we demand more.

Read mixed reviews that battery is good and more saying it's bad, guess at end of the day every phone is individual to a degree

Upvote 0
I will say this, I am on my second N6. I RMA'd the first one due to a slight defect in the display; the bottom right corner had a slight hue mismatch to the rest of the screen.

Both of them provided/provide excellent battery life from my standpoint. Between my tablet and laptop, I don't even try to use it as much as others pushing for 4+ hours screen-on time, but I routinely plug it in at bedtime around 11 PM with 40% or more battery life. Battery stats for me average 36 hours use time per charge. I take it off the charger between 7-8 AM.

Upvote 0
I will echo Dave's sentiments on the phone. I've got nothing but praises to sing about it ... except for what I've said already in the review thread. You might want to read through that, too.

Battery life for me has been stellar. Much better than the N4. I will say there was a time or two where a process got stuck and i saw my power drop like a stone, but a reboot took care of that. And, with 5.1 now out, i expect that to improve battery life even further. There have been some reports about batteries swelling and popping the back case. All i can say about that is this is a mass produced consumer product. Some lemons are bound to get through and those that get them squawk the loudest.

Upvote 0
Spot on that worked for the sms. Most my pics uploads automatically to my Synology nas so can grab back from that.

Couple questions, noticed that at some points when I pick the phone up the screen wakes up and displays clock and notifications but I can't work out how to get it to do it. Also can't seem to scroll to the right. I have the main screen and can swipe to the left for Google now stiff but can't to the right. Is there only 2 screens now?

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones