• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a CPU Monitor/top Combination

ozboomer

Lurker
May 16, 2013
Hi..

I've been using an app that has a colour-graduated icon in the notification area that shows the 'loading' on the CPU.. which is all good but not overly helpful.

What I'd like to find is an app that has this sort of icon.. and when you tap it, a screen is displayed with a ranked list of apps (or processes), much in the way that Unix' 'top' display works... except that it also gives you the ability to *klunk* that CPU-hogging app/process.

Any clues on such an app?

Using Android 4.* on a smartphone and cheapo 7-inch tablet.

Thanks.

Well, it's been nearly a year since I posted this question and it seems there's still nothing about that provides the functionality I want :mad:

I use the phone with a couple of PCs and when I try to synchronize the PC data with the phone data, the PC-based sync. application times-out and all I see is the CPU running full-tilt. Even before I start the PC application, the phone CPU is running as hard as it can and I can't find any phone app that will tell me what app (not process) is making the phone CPU-bound.

I use a phone app called "SystemPanel Lite" which shows the CPU is running its hardest and it shows the CPU is in User mode (or even that apps have been 'nice'-ed) but it still doesn't show the current app that is hogging the CPU. To get a successful sync, I have to sit and wait for the display to show the CPU is mostly idle and then attempt the sync... and it will generally work Ok.

I'll keep searching... and would appreciate if anyone has any clues on where I might find what I'm looking for...

Upvote 0
I've used a few apps to accomplish something close to what you describe, but it's been a while and my memory is a bit fuzzy so I can't remember exactly what I settled on.

Here are a few options though:
• OS Monitor
• Diagnosis
• SysteMon - Actually I think this is the one I used.

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion of "Micro CPU Monitor"... but it doesn't seem to provide any extra functionality over "CPU Stats" ( https://github.com/takke/cpustats ), which is the app I've been using up-to-date.

However, whilst looking at "Micro CPU Monitor", I identified a couple of other apps that I hadn't tried, being "CPU Monitor" ( eflow??? in Japanese) and "OS Monitor" ( Osmonitor by eolwral ).

"CPU Monitor" seems to be pretty simple.. and includes the apps as well as the unix 'back end' processes... "OS Monitor" is pretty comprehensive, showing all sorts of info about both processes AND apps... and doesn't seem to be causing too many troubles -- the only thing seems to be the "% use" notifcation icon seems to be calibrated differently to the other apps I've listed..

"Diagnosis" and "SysteMon" are extras I haven't tried yet... Thanks a heap...

From all of these, I think I'm getting the info I need. I've already found that under certain conditions (mainly when I'm not on-line to the Internet), the "Search Applications Provider" app/element/wotever seems to be the resource hog. As mentioned elsewhere (can't remember where), disabling this item seems to make the whole phone run better... but as they say, YMMV... but I haven't come up with any troubles so far...

Thanks a heap, once again, folks...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones