• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a dpg to mp4 (free) converter and also VOB file to mp4... ideas?

Quigs10

Dec 3, 2011
Hey,

1. Anyone know of a converter that can convert dpg video files to mp4 video files? I know dpg is lower res than mp4, but we are getting a low cost entry tablet for our daughter (8 yrs) and she has a bunch of her videos in dpg format for her dsi and we wanted to convert them into mp4 to play on her tablet. The tablet doesn't play dpg files.

Doing so may be a moot point if the res is too low to watch on the tablet. But just wondering if anyone has some ideas.

2. Anyone know of a converter that can take separate VOB files and combine them into a single mp4 file? We have burned some DVDs over the years and they are broken up into 4-5 VOB files and I'd like to convert those to 1 files so she can watch them on her tablet and only have 1 video file to worry about.

Thanks!

First of all, getting an entry level tablet may not be a great idea. In android arena, cheaper translates to crappier. I bought refurbished Xoom and happy about it so I will consider at least refurbished tablet, keep an eye on Fatwallet forums.

Your videos may not be in dpg format but mpg instead, take another look. Assuming that you use Windows PC regularly, use an application called as G-spot Video codec or MediaInfo to figure this out.
Take a look at applications VideoCoder or Handbrake. I personally use VideoCoder and iPad setting for iPad and Xoom
Or
You could use AutoGK for converting it to XviD codec avi file.
You can use applications like MX player on the tablet to play all these videos.

Now to your DVD question, Have you made these DVDs yourself? Take a look at application called as DVD Decrypter. It is no longer developed but the installer should be floating around the web. It 'rips' your DVD om your PC and it just looks like you see on DVD itself 4 or files but there is one file called as name.ifo You connect this file to all of the converter applications I mentioned above and they will recognize all these VOBs at once. You go forward from there for conversion. Take a look at videohelp.com They have detailed guides with screenshots.

Drop a line if you need any more help

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Hey,

1. Anyone know of a converter that can convert dpg video files to mp4 video files? I know dpg is lower res than mp4, but we are getting a low cost entry tablet for our daughter (8 yrs) and she has a bunch of her videos in dpg format for her dsi and we wanted to convert them into mp4 to play on her tablet. The tablet doesn't play dpg files.

First of all, never heard of DPG video files, it sounds like something that's proprietary to a certain system, device or software. As for low cost tablets, suggest you take time to read the forum sticky about these...
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/631594-off-brand-phones-tablets-worth-low-cost.html

Doing so may be a moot point if the res is too low to watch on the tablet. But just wondering if anyone has some ideas.

2. Anyone know of a converter that can take separate VOB files and combine them into a single mp4 file? We have burned some DVDs over the years and they are broken up into 4-5 VOB files and I'd like to convert those to 1 files so she can watch them on her tablet and only have 1 video file to worry about.

Thanks!

For DVD ripping and VOB files, you can use HandBrake or Vidcoder. These are both free, and will convert them into a format suitable for Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones