• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Looking for a Good Text Phone

joe123

Oct 17, 2009
I have the HTC EVO which I LOVE and I am looking for a phone for my wife.

The wify cannot use the EVO becuase she uses her finger nails to type. She only uses the phone for texting and calls.

I was looking at the Samsung Transform becuase it has a nice large slide out keyboard and screen, BUT reading reviews and videos of the Transform, it looks like this phone sucks big time ( the orientation not switching would drive anyone crazy ).

So am I missing anything here or is this the best Sprint phone for texting?

The home-screen orientation does not work in landscape mode, or sideways, but on your home-screen it doesn't matter, just download LauncherPro, that will make landscape work. Anyway, the Transform is a solid 3G phone, but with the new 10 dollar charge we're seeing... You may want to go for the Transform, Optimus S, or the Evo Shift, depending on her wants and needs in a phone. I think Transform would be best honestly, I love my phone

Upvote 0
I bought the Transform after having a plain old phone for years. It is my first smartphone. I agonized over which one to get, given my strict price and feature requirements. I find the Transform to be fine for texting. The keyboard is excellent, and you also always have the option of the touchscreen keyboards for entry (you can load the Froyo keyboard if you like as well). The landscape/portrait switching could be faster, as could the whole phone, but for me the phone is meeting my needs. Esp since I only paid $49 for it and hopefully won't encounter this new $10 fee since I'm already activated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones