• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Looking for a kernel compiler

Brick3d

Lurker
Mar 7, 2013
I have just bought an Acer Liquid E1, and was trying to root it. It runs Jb. The system itsself is next to stock for what I could see...

Now for the real problem. I have tried to flash multiple (can't give links to all of them because i just don't remember) Jb rooting zips, which didnt work at all.

Then I tried to push the root files (superuser, su, all that stuff) into their respective directories through ADB sideload, which can be entered through stock recovery.

That also didn't root my phone, but gave me the superuser and terminal apk's.

After a while I figured i'd probably needed to flash CWM first, so i picked a generic build of CWM in .img format.
So I flashed that one using fastboot, and now it's stuck at the kernel splash screen. After that it completely shuts off.

Acer hasn't released their version of JB as of yet, but they did release the source code for the Liquid E1's kernel.
Acer | Download It can be found under the 'Documents' tab.

I am not a developer, although I am familiar with editing roms (used to do so on my old Neo v), but not at all with kernels.
Don't know if the source code is of any use, but if someone could help me that would be more than great!!

thx in advance,
Brick3d

I'm sorry for your trouble but your on a path to destruction, so I'd like to turn that around.

First, never install just generic stuff.

Everything in the root world is device specific.

Begin by getting the proper recovery on your device.

Install only components (roms, kernels, firmware) specific to your model from known sources with testimonials of success.

And don't expect that you can fix your present situation by just compiling some manufacturer source code you've found. It's much, much harder to do that than you may think.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to save you further bad ones. ;)

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Yeah I know it's device specific, it was dumb of me I admit it!!!
The problem really is that there is nothing available for this phone now, only kernel source code Acer has been so kind to give... CWM hasn't made a recovery for this phone, original rom isnt leaked, nothing to start with. I figured for compiling the kernel I'd need a stock boot.img aswell, but I cant get that...since i have no acces to my phone at the moment so yeah pretty messed up...this phone was released late January (at least here), so it's a really new phone +mtk cpu...which has nearly no dev's at all...

Upvote 0
are you sure thats helpful? it seems like one of those sites that just makes you fill out a survey so they make money off you but then gives you the run around kuz the info they claim to have doesnt actually exist... i could be wrong but thats what it look like

as far as cwm goes though the kernel source DOES help, but more is needed to make it, and sadly now that your phone is stuck in a loop you probably wont be able to get it to us. plus a root method would most likely be needed first. you say that in stock recovery you can push the applications to their respective directories though? technically that should have worked as long as theyre on there and properly set up permission wise. if someone with a working phone wanted to run a few tests we may be able to get this thing licked

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones