• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a new Android phone

Which phone to reccomend really depends on your budget, your intentions\expecations for the phone, your need for speed or lack there of, if you want root capabilities plus a few other things.

As an Android based phone, the Ally can do anything that any other Android phone can do, it just might not do it as quickly. It's not a power phone and lacks the memory and processor speed that other Android phones have or will have, like the Incredible, Droid X, Droid 2 or Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S). It is however a very capable phone if you don't mind slower speeds or the inability to load and run as many apps as you could with the other phones i've listed. It is also a much cheaper phone, costing only $50 compared to $150-$200 for the other phones i've listed. But that lower cost comes at a sacrifice for performance. This is not to imply that the Ally is too slow to be usuable. It's just not fast enough for anyone who is a power hungry user.

Then there's the decision as to whether you want a physical keyboard vs. a QWERTY keyboard. If you want a physical keyboard than your choices are rediced to either the Ally, the Droid or the soon to be released Droid 2. As far as I know, those are the only 3 android phones with phyiscal keyboards. Of the 3, the Droid 2 will be the best and most expensive.

As far as outdoor screens, I personally have no problem seeing my Ally screen in sunlight with the brightness cranked up to high, but from everything I have read, the new Samsung Fascinate has a tremendous screen for viewing in outdoor light. It is supposedly better than any other current Android phone available.

Another thing to consider is size and weight. Some of the new phones are coming with 4+" screens and as such, the phones are a bit larger than some of the phones with smaller screens, like the Eris, Ally and Droid 1 or 2. So if you want a smaller phone, look into one of those. If weight is an issue\concern, than any of the phones with a phyical keyboard will be a lot heavier feeling than the ones without a keyboard.

I'll close this simply by saying the best thing you can do is go to your local VZW store and play with any of the phones you might be interested in. That is really the best way to decide which phone is the right one for you. It's not wise to make a decision based on a few opinions from people on a forum. I did this before I bought my Ally. And while I would have loved to have an Incredible or Droid X, I simply could not justify the extra cost for the speed and power benefits because I am not a power user. I just wanted a smaller phone with a keyboard, that would give me internet access when I needed it, with the Google Nav app and the ability to play a little at a reasonble cost. The Ally fit that bill to perfection and I have no regrets what-so-ever on my purchase. If you want\expect more from your phone and you have the money to spend, then I would certainly look into one of the more expensive phones. But again, test and play first is the best suggestion I can make.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones