• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking to get a new battery and wall charger

cooperb21

Lurker
Jan 9, 2014
Im wondering does any one have any suggestions? I want larger battery.

Also im looking at this wall charger because i heard larger battery's may take alot longer to charge. Is it faster than default s4 charger?

I guess the one with s4 is 2 amp and one im looking at on amazing is 3.1 is that faster for charging?

Aparently i cant post links so i guess its gonna be harder to get help :(.

You can't charge a battery faster than it's designed to be charged without damaging it. However, most LiIon batteries can be charged safely at between 0.5C and 1C (half the capacity to full capacity), resulting in about a 3 hour charge to 97%-99% (which is where the charger should shut off).

That said, how fast the battery will charge depends on the charger and, in the case of most of these battery+charger deals you see, the total current the charger can put out when both USB ports are used at the same time is around 3 amps. The battery itself, if you plug it into the charger (without the phone) is usually charged at a rate that will result in a full charge from 50% (which is where you charge for maximum battery life) in anywhere from 3 to 6 hours. If you plug the phone into the charger, you're limited by the design of the charging circuit in the phone which, in the case of a phone with a USB 2.0 port, is usually 100 mA (or 0.1 A).

That said, and I've never bought from them, a lot of people here on the forum have recommended Anker batteries. They have a 2X2600 mA battery+charger for the S4 for $22. That and the battery you have now gives you triple the time between trips to the wall socket. (And it allows you to keep the phone running when one of the batteries is in the wall charger.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones