• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking to switch to $30 Monthly 4g, Advice for end of July Timeframe

eminem2k51

Lurker
Jun 27, 2012
Hello Phandroids!

Currently a Sprint HTC Evo 4g owner looking to ditch the crappy and expensive WiMax. I currently use maybe 400 minutes a month, so I have need to skate the $30/month's 100 minute limit. Could someone please advise on:

- Using something like GrooVe IP to utilize Google Voice for phone minutes over Wifi / 4g. Anyone with experience trying this / in the know of pitfalls in this plan?

- What device to target? It seems reading other threads here that the Galaxy S2/3 and HTC Amaze are the only high-speed (HPSA 42) targets at the present time, but the allure of freedom and JellyBean of the GNexus seems enticing as well. I will be looking to switch in ~ a month (July '12), is there other rumors / announcements I should be aware of that may make waiting a month or two worthwhile?

- How is tethering on any of the above devices?

- Price sensitive but the savings on the monthly bill makes me apt to go as high as $500 if absolutely necessary.

Any other advise is gladly welcome, thanks very much for any help that can be offered!

For full disclosure, I use the T-Mobile $30 plan with a Galaxy Nexus from Google.

1. In my experience, Groove IP works well if you have a fast Wifi connection (cable, fiber optic, etc). It is not so good on regular HSPA+/3g. There is another app, Talkatone, which I've heard works better on slower connections but I'm not too experienced with it.

2. Device: Go for the Play Store Galaxy Nexus. Besides all the benefits of having a Google phone, its also Pentaband, meaning if you change your mind about T-Mobile, you can switch to AT&T and still get HSPA+ (21mbps) speeds. On that note, I'd recommend you also look into Straight Talk. They over unlimited everything for $45/month... although there is a mystery data cap that may be somewhere around the 2GB range.

3. Tethering works perfectly on the Nexus at least, built right into ICS.

4. The nexus from the play store just went down to $349 today. That's a steal, if you ask me.

Reactions: eminem2k51
Upvote 0
I've also been thinking about the Nexus and the $30 plan. My question is if I can rely that I'll be able to stay on that plan or, maybe in a year, T-Mobile might discontinue that plan and force people to a more expensive plan? I understand that it can't be guaranteed (part of the risk of a month to month plan), just wondering how T-Mobile has handled new pricing in the past?

Upvote 0
I've also been thinking about the Nexus and the $30 plan. My question is if I can rely that I'll be able to stay on that plan or, maybe in a year, T-Mobile might discontinue that plan and force people to a more expensive plan? I understand that it can't be guaranteed (part of the risk of a month to month plan), just wondering how T-Mobile has handled new pricing in the past?

I'm not entirely sure how they've handled it in the past, but I can tell you one thing. Avoiding the post-paid system, with contracts and carrier lock-in drastically increases the odds of T-Mobile competing with better prices. If T-Mobile were to eliminate the $30 plan, none of us would stay with them. We'd switch over to Straight Talk or some other service. They know this. That's the beauty of not being bound to some contract. I would say with reasonable confidence that we will not see them choose to eliminate this plan in the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones