• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Loose headphone jack

Not sure what I should do, my head phone jack does not seem loose at all and every other part of my phone seems perfect (knock on wood), however the second time I used it with headphones, the sound coming out of the left ear bud was a lot more quiet than the right. So I turned the volume all the way up it -- cracked and went back to normal, since then I use it in my car all the time with the jack and at other time with headphones and have experienced no problems. Should I exchange the phone, and risk getting one with something else wrong or just go hard with it? Like do you think that one instance could be a future problem? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Does anyone else have a loose headphone jack. When i move the 3.5mm connector it wiggles (the whole thing the connector and the place where it connects). Just wondering if i should bring it back or if everyone elses was loose.

Hiya,

I have the same thing. I had it in my back pocket, crouched down and the sound went out. Pulled it out of my pocket and gently pushed on the headphone plug and the sound went out again and it was wiggly like a loose tooth. I could even move the jack around slightly with a fingernail. If I'm careful with it that doesn't happen but it really is pretty loose.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem and that Dmgabe's replacement unit works better. I will take it to Verizon today.

Ghoelix.

Upvote 0
I was going to start a thread like this one myself. I've totally handled mine with kid gloves and still have the loose jack. If I ever so slightly move the cord, the right channel cuts out. I discovered it last week but wanted to wait a little before taking it back seeing some people were talking about issues with the early batches. Other than the jack issue, it has been absolutely flawless. I hate to even take it back but I love my music and get extremely torqued when something like the right channel just "goes out".... Planning on returning it tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I am having this issue as well. The headphone jack fit is loose, and when given the slightest bump, the default media player thinks the jack was unplugged and will auto pause, which as you can imagine is incredibly annoying. Does anyone know if the auto pause functionality can be turned off? Droid is 39/09 Otherwise I love the Droid, but I'll probably have to exchange it if the auto pause can't be turned off.

Upvote 0
i've been getting dropped sound on and off lately. the connector isn't loose or anything but when i spin the jack around to move it out of the way so i can type, the sound drops out for like a split second. if i tap it hard or bump it into something, like while putting it in my jacket pocket, the same thing happens.

Upvote 0
I just arranged an exchange for this very problem. It wasn't so bad at first, just a crackle, but it reached the point where sound in both earphones would cut in and out if I disturbed the cord at all, the songs would autopause, and sometimes the phone wouldn't detect whether I had the headphones plugged in or not (causing the speakers not to work.)

39/09, if these sorts of things matter. I should get a new unit in a few days.

Upvote 0
Yikes, now I'm paranoid! :eek:

My headphone jack does wiggle a little bit, back and forth as well as in and out. However, if I move it around I don't get static or lose any sound until I pull on the jack to the point where it is almost coming out anyway.

I haven't listened to much music yet, but I suppose I should before the 30 days are up, just in case.

Speaking of loose moving parts on this phone, does anyone else think their volume button wiggles around much more than it should?? I suppose the camera button does as well, but the volume one is particularly bad.

Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
crap now my headphone is really going nuts. starting to drop sound more often and more easily now. just started today. this sucks. anyone know of a DIY fix to this? the connector seems loose when i wiggle it. maybe sticking something in that gap to stop it from moving would help? can't seem to find anything thats thin and sturdy enough to hold it in place though.

Upvote 0
Mine has always had a very crackly headphone jack but I hate to take it back for this. It is such a good working device that I don't want to jinx myself.

Hey audioi if you feel your crackly connection is due to poor connection between headphone jack and port, try this old audio trick. Ever so lightly tap your finger into a jar of Vaseline, and i mean lightly. Now rub your finger and thumb together to spread it even thinner. Next put that thin coat on the headphone jack. Remember you're just trying to get a light light light surface layer of vaseline here. You're not trying to administer an enema to an elephant. Plug the jack into the port and see if that helps. Chapstick can be used in a pinch too.
Remember light coat. If you can see the jelly it's way too much.

Upvote 0
Well, this is NOT for the faint of heart. It's for the dexterous, adventurous, and very, very confident.
You'll need a cheap set if dental picks. One of them will need to fit into the jack, but have a tinny right angle hook on the end. (Dental picks, mind you, not some stupid piec of wire bent at the tip. That WON'T work!)
You'll also probably need a led light to see in there. You want to "grab" the leading electrode, which is simply a thin band of metal curved to both form a spring and make the connection, and lift it up EVER SO LITTLE (!). This might tighten up the connection a bit, but it won't help if the actual jack is loose from the motherboard.

Take it back if you can. I'm a jeweler so this stuff comes easy for me. (I work with itty-bitty crap all day long.) But I've seen/read where people have really fubbared their gadgets attempting such things, fwiw.

Reactions: JDown24
Upvote 0
I was going to start a thread like this one myself. I've totally handled mine with kid gloves and still have the loose jack. If I ever so slightly move the cord, the right channel cuts out. I discovered it last week but wanted to wait a little before taking it back seeing some people were talking about issues with the early batches. Other than the jack issue, it has been absolutely flawless. I hate to even take it back but I love my music and get extremely torqued when something like the right channel just "goes out".... Planning on returning it tomorrow.

Have you tried a different set of headphone to make sure it isn't just your headphones? I had the same problem, and though it was the jack, but when I connected a different set of headphones, my audio was great. I guess that is what I get for buying cheap headphones

Upvote 0
Have you tried a different set of headphone to make sure it isn't just your headphones? I had the same problem, and though it was the jack, but when I connected a different set of headphones, my audio was great. I guess that is what I get for buying cheap headphones

Yep. Experienced the same issue whether it was the Shure SE210 earbuds or the cable in the truck to go into the Aux jack of the stereo there. The replacement Droid (only done once BTW) is just fine.

Upvote 0
Yep. Experienced the same issue whether it was the Shure SE210 earbuds or the cable in the truck to go into the Aux jack of the stereo there. The replacement Droid (only done once BTW) is just fine.

how does one go about getting a replacement droid? do I just walk into a verizon store and ask for a replacemnt? I never got the insurance for the phone, will that matter? also I got my phone back on release day so its been 3 months now. can I still get a replacement?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones