• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lost 100GB

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
First thing: I am incurable tinkerer, trying stuff I should leave alone. That said...

My C: drive has about 240GB, way more than I need. So, to make room for Ubuntu, I used EaseUS to tear 100GB off. I then set that new partition to format to EXT2. It rebooted succesfully. Then I decided to put it back the way it was and used Rollback RX to put my drive back the way it was, before the new partition. It rebooted successfully again, except...

Explorer, Computer control panel and Total Commander (fave file manager) all show the C: drive as the new

Split it again. Format the 100GB to NTFS. Tell Windows to rejoin the two partitions. (Hope you didn't create a space between them or you'll have to keep it at 2 partitions forever, unless you want to save everything, reformat the 240GB partition and restore everything.)

Using these "utilities" to do the work may make it easier, but you don't know what they're actually doing, so undoing what they did becomes monumentally more difficult. (So does not taking notes as you work, which I always tell everyone to do, then forget to do when I screw something up.)

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0
Starting over, as posted in Bubblews:

Empty New Year
After sleeping through the New Year's fireworks down the road, I woke up like January First was any other day, then went to my desk to see how my computer project was going. I had added a new partition to the hard drive so I could install Lubuntu, a newfangled operating system. I planned to have a choice to boot up to that or to good old Windows, like that would change my life. But I discovered that somehow, I had actually killed my hard drive. So, by golly, it did change my life!

By the end of New Year's Day, I had reinstalled good old Windows, tweaked some settings and installed some programs. But when I went to drag over the personal files I had stored on a separate hard drive, I discovered that it was dead too. Trying not to panic, I told myself that the gurus down the street will wake it up – that enabled me to sleep that night.

I went to the gurus today and learned two things: It would cost thirty-five bucks just to see if they could wake it up and at least another seventy-five to copy it over to a third drive, one I had bought on the way there. Fortunately, that was only twenty bucks – they're a lot cheaper these days. But after that expense and hearing of another hundred-plus to resurrect the past, I went straight home to ponder.

That drive had copies of my entire computing history: almost every email since the late nineties, every story I've ever written, passwords to programs I thought I couldn't live without and a bunch of other stuff that I can't recall, but undoubtedly will. I pondered that as much as I'd like to have all that back, I'm not sure it's worth the money. And I even think I might be better off without it.

For instance, out of those thousands of emails I had stored, how many have I needed to resurrect? Maybe one or two, in almost twenty years. How often do I resurrect one of my old stories? Never. Can I live without those vital programs? Because they make life easier, I might be better off without them. Finally, how bad do I need the stuff I can't even remember? If you don't mind, I'm not even going to answer that stupid question.

In fact, right now, I think I might be better off without that stuff that I've been dragging around since computer living began. And I think this might have happened on new year's day for a reason. I even think I might have done this on purpose, subconsciously at least. It's kind of exhilarating to wake up with no past, like I took an amnesia pill last night.

I haven't lost everything, of course. Thanks to this new thing we call The Cloud, it seems that I have almost all the contact specifics, enough to allow me to compile another twenty years worth of very important stuff that I'll lose one day like I did yesterday. And I can always cough up a hundred bucks to see if all that data is still on that drive – at least until I throw it away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones