• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

lost ability to play .amr files

Greetings all,

I am a member of a volunteer rescue squad and one of the ways we get paged out to emergencies is via an .amr file sent in a SMS message.

After updating to Android v 4.1.2 it seems that I have lost the ability to play these files. Before the default media player would launch and play the audio files directly from the message but now it gives a notice saying I do not have an app capable of playing this file type. I have tried installing a few apps that play .amr files but it still gives me the same message. I am able to save the sound file to SD card and open it manually from inside an app but that takes too much time in an emergency.

One of the apps I have been using to play the files is called "audio player" and .amr is listed in the file associations list in the settings, but I still cannot get the files to play directly from my text messages.

Thank you for any advice,

ZC

You need to go check to see if your Android phones supports AMR files. If it supports, you can contact the customer service of your phone. If it does not support AMR files, it is a little trouble. You need to convert AMR to MP3, WAV to paly it on your Android phones. You can find a solution by typing "AMR Converter - Easily Play AMR Files on iPhone, Android, Windows Media Player, iPad, iPod, BlackBerry, Samsung and more" in Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones