• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Love the Captivate - to exchange or not exchange?

mike_terror

Aug 27, 2010
Don't worry I'm not here to complain, but just to get some advice and suggestions from other captivate lovers.

I love my Captivate, owned it for 2 weeks and have experienced a total of 3 random shutdowns. I know there hasn't been any remedy for this issue yet, but I'm wondering if I should go through the trouble of exchanging for another Captivate?

My current one was shipped to me on 8/27/2010, and manufactured on 8/2/2010. My 30 days will end in another week and a half. Will the 30 days extend again when I get my replacement? If not, what happens if the replacement is still bad?

I'm afraid the replacement may even be worst than my current one. I've only experienced 3 random shut downs in a 2 week period, but I know many people have experienced none, while others have had atleast 10 shutdowns.

Exchange it. There is no "maybe" about it. The issue is hardware-based. Took me three attempts to finally get a solid phone.

3 random shutdowns? That's 3 too many. I'm sure you don't want to miss an emergency call or other important call.

Regarding the 30 days being extended, it's up to the store. Make nice to the manager or assistant manager to see if they'll be empathetic enough to extend your trial period. Beyond that you'd be eligible for a warranty replacement which may or may not be new. Some feel that a refurb is better than new since it has (supposedly) been given more personalized attention.

Go.

Upvote 0
Exchange it. There is no "maybe" about it. The issue is hardware-based. Took me three attempts to finally get a solid phone.

3 random shutdowns? That's 3 too many. I'm sure you don't want to miss an emergency call or other important call.

Regarding the 30 days being extended, it's up to the store. Make nice to the manager or assistant manager to see if they'll be empathetic enough to extend your trial period. Beyond that you'd be eligible for a warranty replacement which may or may not be new. Some feel that a refurb is better than new since it has (supposedly) been given more personalized attention.

Go.

Thanks Jack. I'm gonna call AT&T Premier right now. I'll update on the status

Upvote 0
Just called AT&T Premier's support. I have processed the exchange, they will be sending me out a replacement, and I'll be sending in the original one as soon as I receive the new one.

The lady on the phone told me that the 30 days will be extended starting from the date I receive the replacement.

*Crosses fingers* hope this one won't have any issues.

Upvote 0
I would also run the phone with a minimum hacking and added software to determine if something you added or changed is causing the problem. There has been no pattern in manufacture date, so it could be application(s) or hacks. Hopefully the OS could handle some poorly written apps but who knows.

There has also been no pattern relating to software or hacks bestowed upon the phone. Stock devices have suffered this fate, too. That's why I'm convinced it's hardware-based and that the only resolution is to go the exchange route.

Upvote 0
I have had the phone since the day it came out, my phone has shut off 3 times as well. what i have noticed is that the only times it has done this is when I leave wifi on when I go to sleep (or anytime the phone is idle for more than 4-5 hours). the phone has never shut off when I remember to turn off wifi off. im not saying this is a good thing because it shoul dnot happen at all IMO, but for those of us that are well over their 30 days, it is a simle fix, for my phone at least.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones