• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Love the Samsung Galaxy S8 - Purchase a Problem

Doing the Cell Phone Technology Walk

When I first read of the Samsung Galaxy S8 screen size, resolution and features, I was intrigued. Intrigued because Samsung touted that the phone would have “the fastest speed, best resolution, greatest call quality, and sleeker design ever seen in a smartphone” and features for dollars’ value was anticipated to be a good buy.

30 April was a landmark day for me when I upgraded, and I did say upgraded, from an Samsung Galaxy S7 to the Samsung Galaxy S8 - this smartphone has to be ‘leader of the pack’ by any measure.. The display is stunning and the battery Life is at least 40% better than the S7, but more important the features and s/w integration with social sites, Samsung Galaxy Tablets, we have the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2s,Windows 10 laptops and desktops, the world standard in our home LAN/WAN environment is impeccable and intuitive, so much so that I have to ask myself how much can this ‘super-smartphone’ be improved. The ease of use and integration showed up in spades when we were driving down I-75 in Florida in an Toyota Corolla car rental headed for the beach house and an Amber Alert came in for a missing 5 y/o child and the radio was subdued and the SMS text message was read over the automobile speakers. I was sold!

Pros: A lot has been written about the Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+ with reviewers just blathering with praise about the S8/S8+. I was sure that after the Samsung Note battery debacle that Samsung would do everything possible to engineer a feature-full safe phone. Samsung did not disappoint; the design is the best I ever. It’s obvious a lot of time, thought and money was put into the this phone from every perspective. The large high definition screen feels smaller than any 5.5+ phone on the market today. The LTE connection feels faster than the S7 but it may be due to improved WiFi connection protocols and compression schemes. We particularly like the cell feature that enables this LTE smartphone to switch to the GSM cell networks we find in the Caribbean and Mexico. Cell connection speeds feel very fast and the top-of-the-line camera is second to none in the smartphone arena. The headphones included with the S8 are excellent coming close to the fidelity of our $350.00 Shure ear buds; re-claiming our S7 familiar environment and user interface on the S8 and transferring media files, documents and favorites from the Galaxy S7 phone to the S8+ was simple and fast, taking about 25 minutes over a Best Buy WiFi connection to the automatic Google site apps download, after logging in. The transfer process was conveniently enabled via an included type-C USB cable and crossover adapter to enable a S7 to S8 direct transfer. Some have criticized the location of the fingerprint sensor and their own small hands and short fingers. I don’t find the location at all inconvenient and love the fingerprint logon feature. I like it better than on the S7 home button placement I previously used. I had grouped my S7 apps into convenient group icons e.g. Comms, Pwd & Security, MS Apps, Google Apps, Samsung Apps, etc.. I was surprised that the data transfer maintained my user interface concept by maintaining the grouping icons for multiple-like apps on the S8.

This phone is stands alone in a ‘leader of the pack’ class amongst all smart phones, Android or the Apple IOS iPhone. The anticipated Apple release of the iPhone 8 later year same is expected to follow the Samsung lead and include the fingerprint sensor also on the back – I expect users and reviewers will call it Magical.

Cons: I was particularly disappointed in Sprints marketing approach. Sprint has adopted a ‘Spring Store’ concept of marketing where they have contracted to have small business contractors establish box stores to push the Sprint product line to the consumer. This approach bit us in the axx two years ago when I went to one of these Sprint Stores not realizing it wasn’t Sprint at all but rather a contractor to Sprint. I asked all the right questions and now know I got only deceitful answers. My requirement was that I wanted to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S5 to an S6; maintain our connection to the Sprint GSM/LTE network; maintain our family shared plan with unlimited text and data; and not increase the monthly cost we were paying for the family data plan. The representative responded to assure me that our shared family data plan would not increase but I would have to agree to ‘a 2-year contract with Sprint’ to get the ‘discount’ price being offered. As my requirements seemed to be met, I signed onto the deal as presented. When the first bill came I was surprised my bill had increased by $25.00 /month. Further, I was locked into this plan for 2-years. I was furious. It turns out I had been sucked into a 2-year lease agreement and at the end of the lease I wouldn’t even own the phone and would have to turn in the phone to upgrade or sustain an addition fee. The contractor got their ‘commission’ and Sprint had locked a customer to Sprint , making it untenably expensive to change to another carrier if I was dissatisfied with the Sprint service or network. Caveat Emptor – buyer neware! I would never have signed onto a lease if I had known. This is where the ‘rub’ comes in with my Samsung Galaxy S8 upgrade. Wherever I went e.g. The Sprint Store, or online to take advantage of a $50.00 discount for the phone, the only way I could get the upgrade was to at least initially at the Sprint Store, agree to the 2-year lease contract – I could cancel and buy out the lease in 30 days but that was the only way I could walk out of the Sprint Store that day with a phone. The only other option at the Sprint Store was to pay for the phone in cash and then wait up to 30-days for the phone to be shipped to me. Ugh!.

Relief: I found relief at Best Buy. At Best Buy I could buy the Samsung Galaxy S8, paying cash, and get it that day and have it completely configured on the spot. What a concept! I simply wouldn’t get the $50.00 discount offered by the Sprint Store or online to sign the 2-year contract. Big deal. At least the phone would be mine and I could upgrade or change carriers at will. Although this approach would be pricey and an immediate stress point on the budget, it would be cheaper in the long run. I was a happy camper after making this decision choice. With all of this, I was further disappointed in Sprint when the Best Buy tech couldn’t use the automated process to transfer the cell technical to the S8 so I could maintain the same cell telephone number. They were forced to call Sprint directly. Upon verbally giving the S8 cell phone technicals and my account particulars, Sprint wanted to know why Best Buy wasn’t selling me a 2-year contract and lease. The tech responded to Sprint that I was purchasing the Galaxy S8 outright. That ended that conversation but it was clear to me that they were more in the business of selling leases and leased phones. Oh, did I say that albeit my choice was an expensive choice with the S8 costing as much as $899.00; if you want a screen protector paying $54.00 would be an additional cost and another $30.00 for a protective case. Wow! Not an inexpensive endeavor but smartphone appliances have become an essential appliances for ‘the connected life’ and family convenience. It’s worth it to us and we don’t mind paying for convenience and capability.

Phone with best camera? IMO the Panasonic Lumix CM1.

To be fair, I’ll tip my hat to the Panasonic Lumix CM1 sold by FNAC in France for being an almost perfect camera phone – ‘camera’ and ‘almost’ emphasis, but there are issues. . The wary consumer will have to apply a ‘caveat emptor’ premise to prioritize their appliance use case when deciding their purchase. Some issues include a lack of image stabilization, extremely high price ( the consumer could buy 6 Moto Gs for the price of the CM1 ), The earpiece volume is less than other smart phones. Even at the highest volume level, you’ll have trouble hearing another person when in a phone call on the street which impacts the music & video entertainment value; Microsoft/Skype may have culpability with the diminished performance of video calls using the Skype app – the frame rate is very slow which significantly contributes to user frustration; non-swappable battery (and poor battery life) is not trivial and will be a persistent user issue; lack of cases/drop protection - the huge glass screen creates a significant screen risk; the phone is heavy ( If you drop this thing (DON'T drop this thing) as will most certainly happen, you are going to be very, very upset, make for a device that isn't quite perfect. With that said, the CM1 is amongst the field of choices left to the consumer. Without having a service experience, I’m unable to comment but agree that the camera specs are respectable. If I made the investment required to buy into a camer with sidebar phone capability, I would defend my choice passionately, as well. Sign me – ‘a savvy consumer with defined smart phone feature priorities’ - with the Samsung Galaxy S8 no compromise it necessary, IMHO.

Upvote 0
Eight-hundred Ninety-nine dollars for a phone? Wow! I'm not belittling your choice, but I knew the high end phones were expensive but just wow! I'm very comfortable in the budget tier of things with my Moto G5 thank you... That's more than my house payment!!!

As I indicate in my cons para about Sprint, they are adept at, and selling a lease at $31.25 /mo for 2 years and then force the unwary consumer to buy out the lease or turn in the phone to upgrade. The high cost of this standard-setting device is offset by how long you keep and use the device. We particularly like the Samsung line of mobile products because of device integration with each other, cloud concepts and a robust gigabyte home structured cable and wireless LAN. Further, our 2016 Buick Enclave has a built-in hotspot supported by a GM/AT&T agreement with a consumer purchase of a data plan that's $150.00 for 20 Gbs - annually, no OnStar needed. last year we used 6Gbs of data all year. This gets us Cell/WiFi calling giving us pervasive access anywhere even where there is no cell access; further, we enjoy pervasive Pandora access for music & XM radio. Most importantly we enjoy the very intuitive interface, especially important for my wife. I appreciate what you are saying about the cost of a high-end phone appliance. I was insulted when I was almost forced into a lease with the penalty for wanting to pay cash and avoid a lease that we would have to have the S8 shipped to us, this was particularly painful because we were getting on a plane the next day and headed for the beach house in Manasota Key Florida and the cell phone would be our primary connectivity while there. In the end, Best Buy was by far the solution for convenience and immediate gratification of having the product. Sidebar: Integration with our Windows 10 home network is very important to us. Addit: we are cruisers and we joined friends who were die-in-the-wool Apple iPhone users. As it turned out, The Princess Ship - Ruby and the entire Princess fleet of ships has a ship-board app for tracking and communication w/ each other. Our Samsung Galaxy Android OS devices worked perfectly while the iPhone products couldn't connect. So much for the proprietary-ness of Apple products..

Upvote 0
Depends what you mean by excellent. I've not studied the S8 camera samples in depth, but from the few reviews I looked through it seemed that Samsung were still over-processing the images (which I guess many people like, but personally I prefer a more natural look). But most high-end phones have perfectly decent cameras these days, given the limitations of small sensors, fixed apertures and in most cases fixed focal length, and personally the differences between them wouldn't be the deciding factor in choosing a phone (though I do prefer the ability to control sharpening as well as exposure and saturation).

Reactions: Torry Cox
Upvote 0
The anticipated Apple release of the iPhone 8 later year same is expected to follow the Samsung lead and include the fingerprint sensor also on the back – I expect users and reviewers will call it Magical.
I wouldn't put it past Apphole to label it as 'Vegan & Gluten Free' with that added feature.

Reactions: Snakeyeskm
Upvote 0
Depends what you mean by excellent. I've not studied the S8 camera samples in depth, but from the few reviews I looked through it seemed that Samsung were still over-processing the images (which I guess many people like, but personally I prefer a more natural look). But most high-end phones have perfectly decent cameras these days, given the limitations of small sensors, fixed apertures and in most cases fixed focal length, and personally the differences between them wouldn't be the deciding factor in choosing a phone (though I do prefer the ability to control sharpening as well as exposure and saturation).
I agree with you about a more natural look. But sechas people want to see the bright colors in the photo, even if it's not natural colors. Therefore, many manufacturers use this cunning and add color saturation. And it all seems that the picture is beautiful, although the quality may not be the best.

Upvote 0
I actually like my S8 fairly well. But Samsung has done some things that raise my ire: first the whole bait and switch tactic of saying you get a 256G and headphones for $99 if you pre-order. Seems the fine print say "limited" quantity. I would say nearly non-existent as I tried within 30 minutes of receiving my phone and it seems there are a ton of others who tried and failed. Very, Very Shady. Secondly they said they would have a no-questions asked return policy...I tested that and could not return my phone.

Other things that don't work well: fingerprint reader, facial recognition, iris scanner, Bixby and Google Now. All of the security recognition are spotty at best. The fingerprint is the most reliable, but sometimes I have to reboot the phone to get it working again and it is right next to the camera (bone head placement):( It is also difficult to reach the fingerprint reader one handed and it takes alot of effort to get your finger just right. Might as well type in my password!!! Bixby right now is totally worthless. Hopefully it will mature, but I am not setting much expectations here as all other Samsung software is crapware.

Unfortunately the S8 appears to have broken Google Now:( I use to be able to click on an article, read it and then hit the X to exit and return to Google Now. The hitting the X to return to Google Now no longer works...it just goes back to the home screen. They really need to fix that NOW.

If anyone wants to buy a slightly used S8 for a discount let me know...as I think I'll be selling mine:D

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
https://cuxiao.suning.com/tx00040.htm
I had a good long Suning showroom hands-on of the S8 and S8+ plus today. My first thought was, who's clever idea was it to place the fingerprint sensor right next the camera lens? I have quite large fingers, and it would probably end-up with smeary pictures as a result. Other thing was the odd screen shape, don't care for that much.

Don't think I would replace my Oppo R9 Plus with one, and that was the phone that replaced a Note7, I had to return.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Other things that don't work well: fingerprint reader, facial recognition, iris scanner, Bixby and Google Now. All of the security recognition are spotty at best. The fingerprint is the most reliable, but sometimes I have to reboot the phone to get it working again and it is right next to the camera (bone head placement):( It is also difficult to reach the fingerprint reader one handed and it takes alot of effort to get your finger just right. Might as well type in my password!!! Bixby right now is totally worthless. Hopefully it will mature, but I am not setting much expectations here as all other Samsung software is crapware.
The placement is a bit silly (I can imagine it's worse with the S8+), but having to reboot the phone to make the FP scanner work sounds wrong. I'd be tempted to return it as defective if I had to do that.

As for facial recognition, since it's well-established that you can spoof that with a photo I'd not bother.

And with the effort Samsung put into preventing people from remapping the Bixby Button to something useful I'm sure it must have some use for Samsung, even if it hasn't for the end user ;).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones