• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LTE on our beloved N4

jmar

Nexican
Sep 27, 2010
San Jose, CA
Is anyone excited about the possibility of LTE on our N4 with T-Mobile?

I know I am. I just recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile because I am saving about 80 bucks and while I have no complaints about data speeds, faster data speeds are always welcomed.

What are your thoughts?

jmar

Some reports saying T Mobile LTE downloads about the same speeds as HSPA+ but with way faster ping and upload speeds than HSPA+. Anyway, Google removed LTE capability in 4.2.2 that was hackable in 4.2.1 some have not upgraded because of this. I would rather get HSPA+42 (I'm currently getting either HSPA 10 and HSPA+21) speeds finally. Also, there is no proper antenna for LTE in the Nexus 4.

Upvote 0
From what I have read, apparently installing the 4.2.1 Radio file fixes this and enables it. Not like I can test it because I doubt T-Mobile LTE is coming here anytime soon.
Be careful. I've been looking into that radio and it seems that it is not compatible with 4.2.1. You'd have to be on 4.2.1 to use that radio. Something about calls not functioning. I'll look for the link. :)

Reactions: jhawkkw
Upvote 0
There's a thread in xda that pertains to this... Probably should check there...

I think I found the one you were talking about. From what I can tell, issues seem to be isolated between users, making it difficult to tell if it's just their phone or is related to the radios. I'll download a copy of the radios just in case because I don't have T-Mobile's LTE in my area and probably won't for a while.

Upvote 0
If I could I would test it. Seattle is one of the test areas for Tmobile LTE. I really don't see that advantage though. It uses more battery and I already get 10-15Mbps consistently on HSPA+.

I've never had LTE though.... Is signal strength better in buildings with LTE? That would be the one thing I would like.

Upvote 0
If I could I would test it. Seattle is one of the test areas for Tmobile LTE. I really don't see that advantage though. It uses more battery and I already get 10-15Mbps consistently on HSPA+.

I've never had LTE though.... Is signal strength better in buildings with LTE? That would be the one thing I would like.

The main advantage is higher theoretical download speeds, much faster upload speeds and quicker ping. Depending on the frequency, it might penetrate buildings better. Some people are showing download of roughly 30-40 and upload of like 25-30mbps so far, but that will go down as more people use it.

Reactions: jmar and chrlswltrs
Upvote 0
I'm not really interested in lte at this time. If it was integrated so you didn't have to turn on a separate antenna, and didn't use more battery I would be excited about it. As it stands, HSPA+ is plenty fast enough for every day use. I can browse, stream music and HD video, do social networking and everything else with no lag so I'm fine. The only difference I can see on my friends phone who has lte is that when I first start streaming music or a video it buffers for a couple seconds... Maybe a few on a video, and theirs has less buffer time. To me losing a couple seconds of buffer time that only happens when first opening a stream is not worth the headache that lte brings.

Upvote 0
Isn't there some info out there about how enabling LTE on N4 will drain the battery significantly since the hardware wasn't meant for it?

The battery drain would be significant regardless being that it's LTE.

And this is the main reason that I am GLAD I don't have LTE anymore. I get 20MBps on average with +42. Sure I could get the same or maybe a little more with LTE but I will also get the battery drain that comes with it. No thank you. I'll gladly sacrifice a little buidling penetration and service to keep what I got. Maybe that's just me :/

Upvote 0
I'm getting much better battery life on T-Mobile's LTE than their HSPA+ 42. I can get about 4 hours screen on time and under 3 hours on HSPA+ 42.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364438518625.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364438518625.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 43
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364438534905.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364438534905.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones