• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maintain galaxy S5

marinny

Sep 28, 2014
Instead of using any cleaners I have a stock MacAfee which I would not use on my pcs but cannot get rid of..
Also, I tap the lower left of the phone which shows all apps running and close them. I also close Wi-Fi and location when not in using internet.
Further, I look for storage>cache which clears all caches.

Please correct my maintenance habits as I do not know what to really do.

Leave cache alone unless an app is acting up.

Android caches your apps so that they can restart quickly.

Let Android's built-in task management do its job and it'll be fine. No need to kill the "running" apps list.

McAfee is bloatware. It's using your storage for no benefit. But it's not using storage that you can control. If it's not running, ignore it. If it is, look in your apps management, All, and see if you can disable it. If not, you may gain administrator access to your phone in a process called rooted and freeze it - it'll disappear and give no further trouble.

This will explain how your memory works.

Check out "RAM Truth"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sa.ramtruth

Upvote 0
Thanks for both the corrections and the link. I can't believe the bloat ware and lack of a word pad other than the one in the store which is not very god. I miss MS Files and folders as I never could get a grip on dive on the phone.
I appreciate the information.
There are actually a lot of note apps - even office suites with very high Microsoft Office compatibility.

Did you need some recommendations on those?

And file explorers not terribly unlike Windows Explorer, just a different skin and optimized for the small screen.

Check out "X-plore File Manager"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore

That's my favorite but there are lots of other great ones as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones