• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Manual Gingerbread update, or wait for OTA?

santangelo

Aug 24, 2010
I read about people with Gingerbread on their Droid Xs. Some claimed they got an OTA update and others just manually updating. So I downloaded the update with the intention of manually updating it, but now I'm not sure if I should do it.

My main concern is that this update I downloaded could be missing something in the official release that should eventually come out.

But, I've been with Verizon for a long, long time -- with regular phone, BBs and now a Droid X, and one thing I've always noticed is that anytime Verizon touches something, they make it worse, either by crippling a feature or adding in bloatware. So maybe one they haven't made "official" would be better?

Mostly I want to update because I plan on rooting the phone but wanted to wait until what is rumored to be the last update for the X.

If you are planning on rooting Gingerbread I would not load what you downloaded. So far Gingerbread has only been rooted at the highest levels and the process to load a rooted Gingerbread is listed in the Root section of this forum. You have to be rooted before you load it and load three zip files in order to get a rooted Gingerbread. It looks like there will not be an easy way (if at all) to root Gingerbread once it is installed.

I am still on the first leak of Gingerbread and it is really nice. If you want to get the final OTA but don't want to have to do a lot of work to be able to get it I would not take the manual one that you have. It sounds like at this point the only updates will be the fix of bugs, Verizon has already put all their stuff on this.

Reactions: santangelo
Upvote 0
After reading about all the issues people seem to have with the D/L version I will definitely wait until the official OTA version has been easily rooted before upgrading. While I am looking forward to even better battery life and other improvements, I have my DX set up exactly the way I like, with root, Wifi, overclocked/undervolted, etc. Right now its running faster than a single core 1.2 Ghz smartphone with the battery lasting 2 days under normal use - I don't want to lose any of this functionality.

"Patience is a virtue" :D

Reactions: santangelo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones