• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Market Woes and Replacement UI

yasseford

Lurker
Apr 25, 2010
I've scoured Google and people are reporting similar problems but the solution suggested is not working for me. Anywho...

I'm trying to get either Open Home or GDE. The problem of course, is that the app isn't on the Market. All there are are themes. I searched for "Open Home Full" and nothing. One of the suggestions online was to download "Barcode Reader" and use that while on a computer to scan the barcode on GDE's website. Of course, there is no "Barcode Reader" when I search the Market.

Why is this so difficult? What am I doing wrong? I remember when I had my G1, I was very easily able to install aHome a while back. I can't find ANY of these now!

Thanks BH. I am going to try one of your ROMs when I get home. I was wondering if you could suggest one for me, though. First and foremost, I want something that is smoother than Touchwiz. The BH2's hardware is superior to my former phone's (the G1), so naturally I should expect a smoother experience.

Samsung really dropped the ball with this phone on several levels, but this software thing is ridiculous. I could almost stand not having a notification light on my smartphone, if unlocking my phone didn't involve me staring at a black screen for 2 seconds before it finally turns on. Checking my messages is suuch a chore. I just want a fast phone, I don't care how flashy it is (which, Touchwiz isn't, by the way).

So which do you recommend?

EDIT: I could have sworn someone left a link but now I can't find it...

Upvote 0
Thanks BH. I am going to try one of your ROMs when I get home. I was wondering if you could suggest one for me, though. First and foremost, I want something that is smoother than Touchwiz. The BH2's hardware is superior to my former phone's (the G1), so naturally I should expect a smoother experience.

Samsung really dropped the ball with this phone on several levels, but this software thing is ridiculous. I could almost stand not having a notification light on my smartphone, if unlocking my phone didn't involve me staring at a black screen for 2 seconds before it finally turns on. Checking my messages is suuch a chore. I just want a fast phone, I don't care how flashy it is (which, Touchwiz isn't, by the way).

So which do you recommend?

EDIT: I could have sworn someone left a link but now I can't find it...

Um? If you can make due for the Next day or 2 ( At Most )...
I'll be Releasing:

R10 ( Galaxy Rom )... Highly Recommend & not to flashy & Fast..

Take5 ( Behold 2 Rom ) Stripped Down, Not Flashy & Fast as well..

Both are not Released yet & Recommend these as they will be the Final editions unless something Major Becomes Available for an Update..

Until then I'll be Focusing my time & effort to other stuff regarding the Behold 2..

Upvote 0
Um? If you can make due for the Next day or 2 ( At Most )...
I'll be Releasing:

R10 ( Galaxy Rom )... Highly Recommend & not to flashy & Fast..

Take5 ( Behold 2 Rom ) Stripped Down, Not Flashy & Fast as well..

Both are not Released yet & Recommend these as they will be the Final editions unless something Major Becomes Available for an Update..

Until then I'll be Focusing my time & effort to other stuff regarding the Behold 2..

Wow already on R10? I only been off this site in a day! lol when did you post R9? and were you able to fix the vibrate issue with the galaxy Roms?

Upvote 0
I was somehow able to get GDE to show up on my market. It just started working after a phone restart. Anywho, I put GDE on with the Eclair theme, got Beautiful Widgets, Better Cut for sleeker icons, and Handscent for a better SMS experience, and I must say, this almost redeems the Behold 2 completely. The UI does not lag AT ALL in comparison with the stock UI, and everything just looks so beautiful. This phone is still horrible, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely bearable til I can get a replacement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones