max widgets?

Last Updated:

1. dwhite1977

dwhite1977 New Member This Topic's Starter

Mayb a dumb question...but how many widgets can u have on ure home screens running at once without severely slowing it down?

Advertisement
  2. Gilgamesh11

Gilgamesh11 Member

since widgets can be as small as a regular icon then I suppose 4x4=16... 16 widgets.

3. dwhite1977

dwhite1977 New Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry.. was late when I wrote this...I should have been more specific. I'm not worried about how many I can fit on a screen, but how many I can use without bogging down the phone. I've gotten an error message saying the widgets I'm using require too much memory and could not be created. I have a bunch running on various screens (power widget, weather bug, 2 picture frames, 2 of the gde home apps "application drawer" things, 2 different quote of the day type widgets, a text display widget, yahoo news, google search bar, and a "beautiful widgets" clock). Some of em I wouldn't think would use too much memory unless they update, but that is once every several hours.

4. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

My own experience is that your choice of home replacement app can make or break your setup. Most started giving me grief when I introduced more than a few widgets. Long story short, I now have a setup which does NOT lag AND remains smooth/stable, despite my heavy dependence on widgets. This will be long, but it's the nature of the beast and I want to be sure to respond to your basic question: what the heck works without grief? (All paid apps mentioned appear as red boldface.)

I now use dxtop instead of other home replacement apps. Continued overall speediness & stability, plus 3 features, keep me loyal: a customizable 5-icon app dock present on all screens; ability to change any icon, including folders, without Better Cut or other app; and, an intelligent task killer. (Long press on the menu yields a popup screen showing all running tasks-- red = active, yellow = background running, and white = recently closed. Long-pressing an app lets me kill it outright, with no ill effects. That feature allowed me to dump my previous automated task killer.)

I rush to add-- your preferred home replacement app may be fine. You just have to play around with your own setup to figure out what combo will, in fact, work withOUT grief. Ultimately, I literally wiped everything, then added widgets over a period of time, so I could closely monitor what was and was not working. The end result was dumping two other home replacement apps and settling on dxtop. Actual setup appears in next post.

5. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

My widget combo, per screen:
    (reminder: red = paid apps)
    -- Trending Topics; Power control; 2 instances of AnyRSS {center top}
    ............. AnyRSS permits manual refresh, as well as setting auto-refresh intervals per widget
    -- Beautiful Widgets; 2 instances of More Icons (4x1 per); AnyRSS {center home}
    -- Executive Assistant+ and Pure Messenger {center bottom}
    ............... EA includes missed call info, PM does not
    ............... PM gives me one-tap access to full body of SMS, Facebook, GMail; EA does not
    -- MyCoupons (annual subscription), Mini Info, Data Counter; Toggle: Google Voice, Car Locator, Alarmoid, GV Dialer {left}
    -- Aurora search bar; Audio Manager; 2 instances of S2 calendar (present & next month; each 2x1); Agenda (4x1) {right}

plus Background Running:
    -- Missed Call (services: SMS, Calls, Applications)
    ......... Luv the way incoming SMS now appears full body within notification pull-down area
    -- Screebl Pro (essentially, keeps screen on when in use)
    -- Twitroid Pro (until Touiteur Pro quits FCing in the background)
    ......... set to notify DMs & Mentions
    -- Alarmoid (scheduled quiet time, with VIPs allowed thru (per designated google contacts group)
    -- Weather Channel (temp in status bar)
    -- Google Voice

You also must pay attention to other installed apps, as lagginess can be introduced from a wide variety of sources. I dumped Dolphin browser, replacing it with xScope. Using Executive Asst's lock-screen futzed stability and introduced lag, so I now just use its widget. Asurion's AddressBook is sure 'nuff pretty, but it caused system-wide flakiness, so it too has been banished.

I've had this fuss-free setup since Thanksgiving, when I finally stumbled onto the magical combo that keeps things peaceful in my particular Droid hood.
    ========== end apps/widgets discussion

While I'm here, one last point. Once you decide to live in widget land, battery issues materialize. I didn't want to be a slave to electrical outlets. So, I invested about $50 in a portable battery charger: (now $60)
    Amazon.com: External Battery for Iphone, Iphone 3g, Iphone 3gs, T-mobile G1, Ipod, Sidekick, Blackberry, Nokia, I-UP 5400 Mah: Electronics
    I purchased it for my iPhone 3GS, but it comes with multiple tips, one of which works beautifully with my Droid. I get a few charges following one outlet-juiceup, which gets me through the better part of a week. Good buy!

Let us know how you make out. Will likely help someone else!