• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maxx from Note II

tbhausen

Android Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Picked up the Maxx yesterday and have to say I'm pleased in every way coming from a Note II. In the ways that really matter in real-world use, the Maxx nails it:

Great audio, reception, and thundering speakerphone
Retina-melting screen that can be seen outdoors
Solid construction--feels like it's one piece when handled
That battery!--there is no substitute

What's more, Verizon surprised me very pleasantly when I made the switch. My contract was set to expire in 14 months. I showed up to pay full retail for the Maxx, but the associate said "Let me talk to my manager and see if we can do anything for you". I thought yeah, right, but I'm not interested in a payment plan or anything like that...". He comes back and tells me if I reset my contract starting then I can get $200 off. What a no-brainer--I'm not going anywhere anyhow :) Got to keep my 12GB data with hotspot, all teed-up with a great handset. Life is good :D

Originally I was going to get the Note II, then I figured I should wait for the Note 3. Then I started looking into the Droid Maxx and not completely sure what to do. The main thing I want is battery life. My wife has the Note II on T-Mobile and it lasts forever. But I really like stock android and would keep my G-Nex if the battery wasn't horrible. I think the Maxx might be the better choice for me. Especially since I've been using the Dynamic Notifications app to simulate Active Display.

Not sure what to do. I have time since I can't afford a $299 phone now anyway. It's good to see someone that went from the Note II to the Maxx and they are happy.

Upvote 0
You think? That's one area I'd like to see improved. Nothing unexpected for an AMOLED, but I'd like a bit more display brightness on even an overcast, mildly bright day. About the same as my Galaxy Nexus.

Nothing could touch my Sprint Photon for outdoor readability. I seemed to be one of the few who thought the PenTile screen was a fair tradeoff in that regard. For an AMOLED, the Maxx is great outdoors--much better than my Note II, which required shading to be able to be read outdoors. Even then, it was difficult. I have no such trouble with the Maxx. Do be certain the screen is attaining full brightness even if set to auto. I just use the power control widget to make it easy to do this "on the fly".

Upvote 0
Yeah, I cycled through all the settings while I was sitting on the veranda scarfing down my fish tacos.

I even recall reading (perhaps about the Moto X? Unsure...) that the screen is capable of going to a higher brightness setting on Auto than is achievable under full-Max on the slider. Anyhow, to no avail, but like I say, it's just an expected outcome I'm willing to live with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones