• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

maybe switching to Verizon

curtst

Apr 22, 2010
Just curious, I am currently with T-Mobile and I will be moving soon to an area where Verizon has better coverage (Verizon has 3G, T-Mobile doesn't). I currently have a Google Nexus S. Not the Galaxy S, the one where the only place you could get it was at Best Buy. Is the phone tied only with T-Mobile or if I can get a sim card, can I continue to use it with Verizon?

I would hate to give up ICS, and I don't want to purchase practically the same phone with Verizon. I will either deal with the worse coverage, or get a phone that doesn't have ICS. More than likely deal with the worse coverage.

If I do get a different phone, I was thinking about the Razr MAXX. Any suggestions on a new phone would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

I'm not sure of your contract situation, but the Samsung Galaxy Nexus would satisfy your needs and can be had for a couple hundred bucks. I have been a VZW customer for years, they cost more, but they are reliable. If they 4G, or even 3G, you will have good coverage. It is native ICS, is a Nexus device, and already had tons of mods out for it. This is just my opinion, you should do what is best for you.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure of your contract situation, but the Samsung Galaxy Nexus would satisfy your needs and can be had for a couple hundred bucks. I have been a VZW customer for years, they cost more, but they are reliable. If they 4G, or even 3G, you will have good coverage. It is native ICS, is a Nexus device, and already had tons of mods out for it. This is just my opinion, you should do what is best for you.

I think my contract should be up by then if not soon after. I appreciate your advice and might go that route. The only hang up for me now is no unlimited data. I have no idea how much data I realistically use. I only have 2G service where I live now so the data isn't used that often. Since 25 Jan I have only used about 300MB. I'm sure I will use a lot more with 3G.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but your T-Mobile Nexus won't work on Verizon's network. T-Mobile is a GSM carrier, Verizon is a CDMA carrier. GSM and CDMA are basically two different ways that the phone and towers communicate. You will have to buy a Verizon Nexus (CDMA device) to keep that ICS goodness.

Of course T-Mobile may have good service in the area you are moving to. At least try it a week or two before jumping ship.

Verizon, Sprint, Cricket and a couple of other carriers are CDMA.
T-Mobile, AT&T, and many other prepaid carriers are GSM.
GSM is widely used worldwide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones