• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Messaging Notification (1)

I started getting a (1) notification when I had no message. It is now a (3) icon and I have no new messages! I tried restarting it (off/on) and that made it go away at first but it came back. I have cleared the cache of every app relating to messages, forced stop them, disabled them, and it still remains. I have checked so many threads on this and nothing is working! Please help!

I started getting a (1) notification when I had no message. It is now a (3) icon and I have no new messages! I tried restarting it (off/on) and that made it go away at first but it came back. I have cleared the cache of every app relating to messages, forced stop them, disabled them, and it still remains. I have checked so many threads on this and nothing is working! Please help!

I am willing to be that there really are unread messages. Here is what worked for some people:

- settings / more... (under "Wireless & networks") / Default SMS app. Choose "Hangouts".

- start the Hangouts app and go through any settings to use the app as an SMS app.

I'll bet that you'll find a conversation (or maybe more) where there are unread messages. Perhaps you'll have to scroll down to find them.

If this is the case, after you've read them you can use the same setting to switch back to Messages as the default messaging app, or you can keep using Hangouts for messaging if you prefer it. Messages are system items stored in a database, so both apps will show the same thing, and you can switch back and forth without losing messages.

Upvote 0
I am willing to be that there really are unread messages. Here is what worked for some people:

- settings / more... (under "Wireless & networks") / Default SMS app. Choose "Hangouts".

- start the Hangouts app and go through any settings to use the app as an SMS app.

I'll bet that you'll find a conversation (or maybe more) where there are unread messages. Perhaps you'll have to scroll down to find them.

If this is the case, after you've read them you can use the same setting to switch back to Messages as the default messaging app, or you can keep using Hangouts for messaging if you prefer it. Messages are system items stored in a database, so both apps will show the same thing, and you can switch back and forth without losing messages.

Thank you this worked! I had messages from an "unknown sender" that did not show up in the messages app

Upvote 0
You're welcome. I've ended up switching to Hangouts for good, in part because when you receive an MMS message with photos from iPhone users, it just shows you the photos rather than the slideshow thing that the default Messages app does. The only thing is that you do have to watch closely when you create a new SMS message for a contact with a GMail account to make sure that it is being sent as SMS/MMS rather than as a Hangout message.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones