• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

met office app - direct downloaded available

pauld99

Feb 15, 2012
I've just replaced the stock android on my Xperia SP with cyanogenmod. I've done this before and generally installed the google apps pack, but I don't really want to do that. I have managed to download all the apps I want from independent sources and install them via an sd card, but the only one I've had no luck with is the Met Office weather app. I like it and use it a lot so I'd like to have it.

I have so far found a couple of sites offering a download and have tried both: one won't install at all; one installs and won't run. I've tried installing it from google play via a browser rather than the play app and although it starts doing something and says it will install it, nothing actually happens.

Does anyone know where I can get this app from other than google play? If that's not possible, any recommendations for an alternative?

Thanks!

Not sure why you want to install directly rather than Google Play ... ? But if you're rooted use Titanium Backup to ummm ... backup your apps before you install a new ROM then use it to reinstall after without going to the Play Store.

However, if you didn't back them up I would recommend getting them direct from the PS - the only reason I can see that you wouldn't is if you didn't want to pay for something. I guess from your post that that's not it though .... ?

Dave

Upvote 0
Not sure why you want to install directly rather than Google Play ... ?

Well, you'll probably think I'm a nutter, but I really don't like the way that google get to pretty much track your life these days, particularly if you use an android device. I don't use many apps on my phone, a browser and an email client does most of what I want. I have about half a dozen other things that I've installed, all successfully by downloading them from elsewhere, running sshdroid on the phone and loading them on that way, and then installing them. I would like to be able to manage the whole thing if possible - just to see if I can, I suppose - without going down the play store route at all. So far, the only app I would like that I have not been able to install as above, is the met office one.

Upvote 0
Well, you'll probably think I'm a nutter, ....

No, I don't, really, not in the slightest, even a bit ... :D

Saying that, I too have as little to do with Google as I can. My gmail account is just to link with the Play Store - all emails are forwarded to my "proper" email - though haven't had one forwarded ever I don't think as I never give this out. I sync with NO Google services and don't allow location reporting (partly to help with the battery!) so I'm as 'removed' from them as I can. But I do use the Play Store (I don't allow auto updating) as all that knows is what apps you have installed and what apps you've looked at. Couldn't really care less about that.

Up to you but the Play Store can be useful.

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones