• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mic cuts out but with a twist.

I'm putting this here because it's not really a specific phone issue and the D4 forum is dead anyway.

Trying to keep it short so...

My son's D4 had the famous mic cutting out issue that a lot of phones had after the JB update. He had to press buttons to turn the mic back on during calls, he could hear people but they could not hear him. I turned to the Google only to find a lot of reports/complaints but no real solutions.

I finally sent him my working, never had this issue D4 and he fired it up only to have the same thing happen. The mic was still cutting out!! I used that phone for a year with NO issue yet it reared up for him, how can that be? He went to VRZ and (on the 2nd trip) got a new SIM, did a factory reset and STILL has the problem! How can that be?

So, assuming it's an app, he said he did another factory reset and has nothing installed now, not even Google Voice or his weather widget. Nothing. It is STILL cutting out. Really, how can that be?

I'm going to double check to make sure he's uninstalled everything, they may still be there even though he's not using them, not sure about that. It may also be pulling settings, have to be sure he has the backup un-checked. I'm also going to tell him to create a new Google account and sign in with that to see if it still happens.

tl;dr mic cut out on phone, now he's using a different phone w/a new SIM, same issue after multiple factory resets.

Any ideas?? Really though, how can that be?

OK, just talked to him and he still has the issue even in safe mode.

He's done numerous factory resets, is not backing data/settings up to Google (Gmail/contacts etc. are being sync'd) and has no apps other than system apps installed.

There has to be something coming from somewhere since it's happening on 2 phones and 2 different SIMs but what??

Any more suggestions? Ugh.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones