• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Micro SD card issue

Yamada II

Lurker
Nov 29, 2017
Pakistan
So I'm having this issue with my SD card. It's a brand new Kingston 32 GB card which I bought for my Sony Xperia Z3+ Dual a few days ago. The thing is that I can't play videos on it, whether they're transfered from my internal storage or downloaded and stored directly on it.

It's a bit of a weird problem. I can play videos when the total used memory of the card is below around 2.3 GB. I currently have some 6 videos in it which are around 500 MB and around 24 minutes long each. Four of those videos play fine, the fifth one only plays around 2 minutes before giving an error, and the last one doesn't play at all (it gives an error when opened). This is in the order in which they were added in the SD card.

It gives a feeling that the card isn't a 32 GB one, but music, pictures, etc. added after the memory goes above 2.3 GB open without any issue. My phone and laptop say the total memory is 30.62 GB.

I have formatted the SD card four times; three times with my phone and once with a laptop. But the problem doesn't change. There was an issue yesterday where I couldn't delete anything on the card or transfer anything to the card, but I could move things from the card to my internal storage. All this after the SD card was filled above the 2.3 GB limit I think exists for the videos. This last issue is no more after the latest formatting.

Some extra info:
I bought this SD card after my previous Toshiba 16 GB card stopped working in my Xperia Z3+ after some 3 years of working perfectly in a total of two phones (my latest phone is the second).
My current phone is one year old, brand new when bought.
My previous 16 GB card was class 4 and this new 32 GB one is class 10.

Is there any solution which does not involve buying a new card or a factory reset? (I tried be as detailed as possible)

Is there any solution which does not involve buying a new card or a factory reset?

I doubt a factory reset would fix anything related to an SD card.

First I would verify that your card is legit. Try an app like SD Insight and see what it says. Even if it not a fake card, you could have just got a bad one. If you can borrow an SD card just to check that your phone can in fact play movies from a 32GB card.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
The videos not working, that does sound like a fake or duff micro-SD. Where did you buy it?

I bought it online from a rather well known online shopping site.

I doubt a factory reset would fix anything related to an SD card.

First I would verify that your card is legit. Try an app like SD Insight and see what it says. Even if it not a fake card, you could have just got a bad one. If you can borrow an SD card just to check that your phone can in fact play movies from a 32GB card.

The SD Insight app is not compatible with my phone. If you have any other similar recommendation for Android (preferably) or some way to check it on a laptop it would be appreciated.

Try a different video player like VLC or MX player

Neither player works.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the video files seem to get corrupted as they don't play even if they are transferred back to the internal memory.

Upvote 0
I bought it online from a rather well known online shopping site.

Ebay or Amazon vendor was it? If so it could very well be a counterfeit.

The SD Insight app is not compatible with my phone. If you have any other similar recommendation for Android (preferably) or some way to check it on a laptop it would be appreciated.

Neither player works.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the video files seem to get corrupted as they don't play even if they are transferred back to the internal memory.

Corrupting videos like that, it's very likely you've bought a knock-off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones