• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Micro USB to USB C adapter that preserves OTG functionality?

Hi, this is my first post and I have a question:
I have a new phone with a USB type C connection. It is also OTG compatible, as I have an OTG cable that's male USB C on one end, and female USB 3.0 on the other end. I can plug in a thumb drive and immediatly review the contents. However, I have another OTG device that uses a micro USB plug. I recently bought from Amazon a keychain female micro USB to USB C male adapter, and it said OTG in the title. However when I tried it it wouldn't recognize my micro USB OTG device. So what I'm wondering is: I know there are loads of micro USB to USB c adapters flooding the market, BUT are there any that are confirmed to preserve OTG functionality?
Thank you in advance.

Hi, this is my first post and I have a question:
I have a new phone with a USB type C connection. It is also OTG compatible, as I have an OTG cable that's male USB C on one end, and female USB 3.0 on the other end. I can plug in a thumb drive and immediatly review the contents. However, I have another OTG device that uses a micro USB plug. I recently bought from Amazon a keychain female micro USB to USB C male adapter, and it said OTG in the title. However when I tried it it wouldn't recognize my micro USB OTG device. So what I'm wondering is: I know there are loads of micro USB to USB c adapters flooding the market, BUT are there any that are confirmed to preserve OTG functionality?
Thank you in advance.
That's working. I use sandisk 128gb. usb 3.0 connect to usb c cable convert to usb 3.0 port only.
(not usb 2.0 port)

Attachments

• IMG_20171220_080131.jpeg
    IMG_20171220_080131.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 997
  • IMG_20171220_080224.jpeg
    IMG_20171220_080224.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 1,115
Upvote 0
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain it too clearly. Here's the situation:
I have an auxiliary phone camera that uses a micro USB plug to attach to your phone. However, it only works with OTG compatible phones. I recently got a USB-C phone, as well as a female micro USB to male USB-C adapter to attach the camera to my new phone. This adapter works for everything else, but not the camera, as the adapter must lose OTG in the process. So my question was: is there any micro USB to USB-C adapter that preserves OTG functionality?

Upvote 0
OTG adapter is in fact a micro USB male connector where pin 4 (ID) is connected to pin 5 (GND). This is all, nothing more than this. Cable itself has also 4 wires like any USB cable.
In non-OTG cables pin 4 (ID) of the micro USB male connector is unconnected.
Below is the diagram of micro USB male connector.
upload_2018-1-30_12-59-26.png

Upvote 0
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Conv...+usb+c+adapter+otg&psc=1&tag=androidforums-20

Ok, I've bought and tested and can confirm that the above product recommended by lunatic59 DOES in fact retain OTG functionality. Thank you!
I got you. After a little searching, I'm seeing many of the cheaper adapters say in tiny tiny tiny print that they are non-otg.

This one claims to be OTG compatible but I haven't used it personally. Apparently they are out there.

Hey! I'm searching for one of those adapters too now. However, the link the two of you provided now provides a HDMI VGA adapter.
Could you by any chance share a new link or post an image of the adapter you bought?

I'm hoping to unbrick my USB 2.0 type C phone using a micro USB jig and the adapter you recommended :)

Cheers and thanks in advance, really looking forward to your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones