• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MLB Power Pros

Alster posted his review of MLB Power Pros 2010 over at meandmydroid.com. Here's the link:

Android Game Reviews: MLB Power Pros 2010 - The Review

Sorry about not "hyperlinking" the url but I'm at work, on my EVO, and I couldn't figure out how to get the hyperlink button to work. Just copy and paste the link and check out Alster's review. It isn't his most in depth review and I thought he meandered a bit but ultimately he gave the game a 5/5. So, it looks like I'll have to download the game to see what's up. I'll post my impressions here...

Upvote 0
I played one game last night and I had to uninstall/refund this one. The graphics are bright and colorful, really nice for an Android game. Beyond that, the game is an odd mix of overly simplistic and overly difficult.

Too Simple: I tried to embrace the auto-fielding but I just couldn't get behind it. It's just to passive for me. Although for some players, I could see how auto-fielding is a good thing, I like to be in complete control of my videogame baseball -- for better or worse. The only control over defense in this game is pressing a "jump" button and choosing which base to throw to.
Too difficult: Since fielding is handled automatically, this game boils down to the pitcher/batter interface, which has to sparkle like a diamond to make the game compelling. Unfortunately, this game doesn't appear to support multi-touch (even for the Droid/N1/EVO version) which just made it hard for me to feel like I was in control. The game allows you to move your pitches after they are thrown, but because there is no multi-touch, you have to wait until AFTER the ball is released before you can affect the pitch's trajectory. There just isn't enough time, in my opinion, to do this consistently and effectively without multi-touch.

The batting seems pretty intuitive but it is similarly hampered by the lack of multi-touch. You have to align a cursor with the position of the pitch as it crosses the plate AND time your swing to make contact. While cursor based hitting works fine with multi-touch, I found hitting to be way too technical and cumbersome without it. I'm sure that with practice, hitting becomes second nature, but I don't have time to invest in mastering these controls as is. Add mult-touch, however, and the aforementioned issues vanish.

In sum, Power Pros isn't bad, but the controls just aren't particularly well conceived for a touchscreen game. As is the game lies somewhere between arcade and sim. The dual identity of this game made it hard to pick up and play. For those who have the dedication to master the controls, this is worth a look-see. For me, I'll wait to see if the developer adds multi-touch in a future update...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones