• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mobile data and background data question.

Hello all! I was just given an Incredible from a friend, and activated just last week. Naturally, I am totally digging it (I've never had a smart phone, or any phone near this high quality).

Unfortunately though, because I missed out on Verizon's July 7th unlimited data cutoff, I'm stuck with their tiered data plan.:rolleyes:

This has led me to want to be as on-the-ball when it comes to my data usage as possible. My phone is rooted and running Cyanogen mod 7 btw. I thought I had all the data stuff figured out already, however, I am left with one question, after recently discovering that turning off syncing doesn't turn off all background data.

This sucks, because I thought my handy little power widget I use to turn off sync would eliminate background data, but that is not the case. However, I can just turn off mobile data when I don't want to to be used.

So my question is this--When my mobile data is turned off, does that also eliminate all background data usage, effectively stopping my data usage until I turn data back on? (This is, of course, talking about usage in the absence of a wifi network).

I'd just like to find out for certain that turning off my mobile data completely eliminates background data usage (except for when wifi is available), and therefore does not use my mobile data at all?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

It's hard to say. Verizon has some funny math in terms of counting data used. I had my phone physically turned off and battery removed during the last two weeks of a billing period due to deployment, but they were hitting me with 90-150k of data DAILY. That's not much, less than 1MB/week, but it's still made up data.

Just download the My Verizon app (you can still run it on CM7). It has a handy data widget. Unless you're streaming video or tons of audio, staying under 2GB won't be a problem.

Reactions: beeker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones