• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile printing via app or service

metamage

Lurker
Jun 4, 2010
Bought a printer, can't figure out how printing is supposed to work. HP M201dw is wireless and supports Wireless Direct, HP ePrint, mopia, Apple AirPrint, and maybe something else.

Installed HP ePrint app on my Galaxy Tab S2 and my Galaxy S6 (and my iPad 4). Also installed mopia, cuz while the HP ePrint app will let me pick a file and print it, the mopia print service (I think) should let any app that has a Print button to print on my M201dw -- in other words, a service interface.

ePrint, as an app, works, but printing from an app (like Chrome) doesn't.

In Settings > Other Connections > Printing, I see print services by Samsung, HP, and mopia. But I'm confused. How is this stuff even SUPPOSED to work? If I turn on these print services, will they conflict? Will any of them allow me to print from an app (like Excel or Chrome) instead of only from a canned app like ePrint?

I can't find mopia in any Android forum (Android Forums, Android Central, ...), so I guess no one is using it?

Is everyone just picking files from ePrint and printing them? No one printing Web pages, for instance, or individual sheets from an Excel workbook?

Thanks in advance.

Bought a printer, can't figure out how printing is supposed to work. HP M201dw is wireless and supports Wireless Direct, HP ePrint, mopia, Apple AirPrint, and maybe something else.

Installed HP ePrint app on my Galaxy Tab S2 and my Galaxy S6 (and my iPad 4). Also installed mopia, cuz while the HP ePrint app will let me pick a file and print it, the mopia print service (I think) should let any app that has a Print button to print on my M201dw -- in other words, a service interface.

ePrint, as an app, works, but printing from an app (like Chrome) doesn't.

In Settings > Other Connections > Printing, I see print services by Samsung, HP, and mopia. But I'm confused. How is this stuff even SUPPOSED to work? If I turn on these print services, will they conflict? Will any of them allow me to print from an app (like Excel or Chrome) instead of only from a canned app like ePrint?

I can't find mopia in any Android forum (Android Forums, Android Central, ...), so I guess no one is using it?

Is everyone just picking files from ePrint and printing them? No one printing Web pages, for instance, or individual sheets from an Excel workbook?

Thanks in advance.

No replies, so here's an update on what I've found.

As for mopria, I've set it aside. May be great, but no info on it.

As to the Samsung print service, it works only for Samsung printers.

So, I addition to the HP ePrint app, I also turned on Settings > Other Connections > Printing > HP ePrint Service. Now, I can print from Chrome, Word, Adobe Reader, etc directly. My experience is mixed. No print driver is up to Windows print driver standards. What appears to be the ePrint Service interface is pretty good. But much less good is the so interface to it in some cases, like Excel. For Word & Adobe Reader, you can get quality similar to in the Windows apps, but forget about getting nicely formatted Excel spreadsheet printouts.

Maybe mopria drivers are better? Maybe the ePrint Service just needs to mature? Certainly, the Android app print interface must mature -- certainly Excel's.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones