• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MoDaCo ROM + warranty

Xyro

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 1, 2009
UK
So I got my Hero last week and am loving it so far, but I'm interested in using the MoDaCo ROM in stead. However, since it's a brand new phone I don’t really want to go and permanently void the warranty straight away. So I was wondering, if I had to return my phone for some reason after switching to the custom ROM, would flashing the official ROM undo everything I'd changed? Or would my carrier/HTC still be able to tell?

Thanks for your help :)

EDIT: Oh, and does enabling GPS cost anything?

Enabling GPS doesn't cost you anything. Using features such as maps and local points of interest will require a data connection though, and without a data plan, it will cost a lot.

For the MoDaCo warrenty thing, the short answer is yes, it will void your warrenty perminately. It is assumed though that flashing back to the official ROM will erase any evidence that the phone was ever rooted. We don't know for sure if the Hero has some sort of installation log hidden away somewhere, but it's unlikely. So long answer, yes, it will void your warrenty, but flashing back will should cover up your tracks, theoretically.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones