• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [modification] Speed up your Rise while improving battery life at the same time

Just came here to second the fact that these tweaks also work great for the Hydro! TY to you all and whomever else contributed to these epic tweaks. You're great! :D

I was a few days away from returning this phone before rooting it.

edit: also, I bootlooped my phone a couple of days ago and expected to have to re-enter these commands. However, it seems that these are permanent modifications so long as your permissions remain! Awesomeness!

Upvote 0
edit: also, I bootlooped my phone a couple of days ago and expected to have to re-enter these commands. However, it seems that these are permanent modifications so long as your permissions remain! Awesomeness!

That they are, it's a system mod so only an upgrade or full factory restore (meaning the factory does it) could remove it without you doing it. There was some question as to whether these and other changes breaks the OTA updates, which appeared to be some weird form of binary diff, not sure if that was ever determined to be the case.

Upvote 0
i actually thought i screwed up another rise today but wasnt in a bootloop but only had data not sms or voice calling , so i useded the app andromyizer nt motomizer anyhow i used the one touch optimizer not haveing a clue what all it would do inside the system was like at my last end with it only i knew not to play with anything kernal wise so unchecked the kernal optimization checkmark and let all the other tweaks run now my phone seems awsome like quick speedy fast very nice , then i didnt wanna brick it so i got on the phone with virgin mobile turns out there working on the towers all around my area upgradeing said there was outtages and unresponsive voice & text everywhere even gave me a discount on this months bill credit , so i thought i messed it up ut it wasnt but , i can feel the stress of this phone maybe i will move on to another & keep this one as a backup , not my driver selected all except the kernal tweaks and it works great i took the risk for us lol,

wv50gj.jpg

Reactions: daffyducknj
Upvote 0
Hi db2. I am a none technical person. Maybe you could email me directions starting from where to find the "edit". That would be great. Email is my user name@Gmail.com. Thank you in advance.

Honestly, I would recommend seeking help from someone in person to do it for you in that case. Just to be safer.

Upvote 0
Sounds like some good stuff fellas! I will have to recommend my roommate letting me do these tweaks to his phone if he wants me to root and tweak it for him... too bad there are no devs wanting to port or kang a ROM to this phone for you guys... That is the main reason why before buying a phone now a days... if it isn't very popular or having a lot of potential for being one... I just won't buy it... because I am definitely into getting the best bang for my buck on a device...

Maybe someone could take these tweaks and make a fast one click deal for the newbies? Just saying...

Upvote 0
i actually thought i screwed up another rise today but wasnt in a bootloop but only had data not sms or voice calling , so i useded the app andromyizer nt motomizer anyhow i used the one touch optimizer not haveing a clue what all it would do inside the system was like at my last end with it only i knew not to play with anything kernal wise so unchecked the kernal optimization checkmark and let all the other tweaks run now my phone seems awsome like quick speedy fast very nice , then i didnt wanna brick it so i got on the phone with virgin mobile turns out there working on the towers all around my area upgradeing said there was outtages and unresponsive voice & text everywhere even gave me a discount on this months bill credit , so i thought i messed it up ut it wasnt but , i can feel the stress of this phone maybe i will move on to another & keep this one as a backup , not my driver selected all except the kernal tweaks and it works great i took the risk for us lol,

wv50gj.jpg

Can anyone that knows English verify if this works and maybe how to do it?

Upvote 0
Can anyone that knows English verify if this works and maybe how to do it?

Go easy on the poster. I realize it seems long winded and full of some grammatical errors, but sometimes that's necessary! (The long winded part, that is. I personally hate tl;dr freaks. ;) )

Basically, he (or she's) saying that if you use the particular app presented, it's okay to use the one touch optimization option, but with the Kernel Tweak left UNCHECKED.

Does that help you out?

Upvote 0
Sounds like some good stuff fellas! I will have to recommend my roommate letting me do these tweaks to his phone if he wants me to root and tweak it for him... too bad there are no devs wanting to port or kang a ROM to this phone for you guys... That is the main reason why before buying a phone now a days... if it isn't very popular or having a lot of potential for being one... I just won't buy it... because I am definitely into getting the best bang for my buck on a device...

Maybe someone could take these tweaks and make a fast one click deal for the newbies? Just saying...

I hear you. I can tell you from personal experience that doing Kernel Tweaks on this phone (and perhaps similar Kyocera models like my Event... or any phone without a custom ROM for that matter) will most likely brick it. If you look at what kritter888 checked on the app, those are all system tweaks. They don't touch the kernel at all, as far as I can tell.

If anyone else with more knowledge about this would chime in, a lot of us would highly appreciate any meaningful input. I'm sort of on the fence about applying these tweaks to my Kyocera Event. Anyone?

Upvote 0
So, you paid a buck and a half for some app to seed /dev/random because $FOO and can't admit you're experiencing confirmation bias? No problem.

Edit /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg and remove only the line "0 0 android" from it. Save. Reboot.

You can pretend it was the $1.50 magic app if you want to. :p

What it does: Disable default CPU rendering in effect by only leaving GPU rendering as an option. Our GPU is actually pretty decent but it's not used to the fullest by default. But moreover, by offloading the rendering to the GPU where it belongs it frees up processor time, making the whole phone itself effectively faster and more responsive because that freed processor time can be put toward your apps!

I played a couple rounds of Speedx 3D and several levels of Angry Birds Rio and lost a whopping 1% of battery in that whole time. Additionally they both played much smoother, beyond just the interface. Previously simply checking email made the battery go down that far.

We've all concluded the Rise isn't very good about battery life, and compared to some it probably isn't. We've also concluded that it's on the low end, and again compared to some... But with this it doesn't appear to be as bad as we thought, the hardware is solid but the software config just kinda sucks.

Faster more responsive interface AND faster phone AND better battery life, with no incantations or dead chickens? What are you waiting for get editing!

Source is XDA, there are dozens of threads about it and as far as I can tell they all reference each other in an infinite loop so I'm not sure which to credit! Some contain BS information about build.prop too, telling you to add CM-specific entries to stock roms... derp.

This should also work for the Hydro but I don't have one to test. They're basically the same under the hood though.

Edit: You will need to make sure the permissions of egl.cfg stay the same as before, the permissions should look like "rw-r--r--", either use your root file browser to set it or the shell command to do it is "chmod 644 egl.cfg"

I read this carefully and then tried it and while I am skeptical of "tweaks", I know some of them do work and this one definitely did! An absolutely noticable improvement in performance! Thank You! :)

As for the file permissions, I use "QuickEdit Pro". It will edit files in the System and Save them there as well and it (so far) hasn't changed a file's permissions on me after saving either. I forget what the diff is between Free & Pro is. Maybe Free will be fine for you. As for who puts it out, I don't remember, but it has a blue icon with a "Q" in it. Great little editor for the technically minded (but very easy to use)! :)

Take care.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones