• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

moto 360: now or later (thinking out loud)

I got the US email today and even tried to purchase it in the US unsuccessfully.

I was really very keen on the device, however I've now read from several different sources that the battery has to be charged twice a day.

I'm not sure if that's going to be a deal breaker for me. I get annoyed having to charge my phone every 1.5 days. I was hoping for at least 2 days out of the watch.

Anyone else put off by this?

Upvote 0
I think we have to be very careful with these early reviews and try to determine whether they really reflect real life performance. A lot of these bloggers didn't have access to the device for very long. I question whether the high usage of the device in order to test it out and do a review quickly really reflects real world performance long term.

Upvote 0
I personally never took Moro's comment of the battery lasting a day to mean anything other than waking hours. Yes, if you are up 24/7, you will have to charge it twice a day. For normal people, I literally wear a watch from 8:30a-9p at the most. Typically during that time period, I could easily drop it on the charger for a little boost before I go out at night. On a weekend I probably wouldn't even out on my watch until 11am, and with two kids, I'm certainly home by midnight. Also consider how long the battery on your phone lasts when you first get it. You're constantly playing with the thing, so screen time is crazy high. I want to hear how this thing does under normal use, and not newbie excited geek use. I also cannot wait for all the Apple fanboys to be put in their place. Unless they have some miracle battery and display technology, it probably won't be much smaller, if its smaller at all, and it certainly won't function a whole lot different, but I can almost guarantee it will have a grid of 4 icons on the home screen.

I just got shipment notification from Best Buy for my black 360, and I am very excited.

Upvote 0
Well, I'll tell you what:

On the Motorola site, I got to order it, enter my payment information, and got all the way to "process order" and it hung up. I clicked "process order" again. It hung up again. I bet I hit that "process order" button 5-6 times and nothing ever happened.

That I KNOW of ;)

But if I end up getting 5-6 black Moto 360s in the mail, I'll be happy to share the wealth and sell them to my friends here at Android Forums.

For oh, I don't know... $1000 each sounds fair :p

j/k

Reactions: halon
Upvote 0
I personally never took Moro's comment of the battery lasting a day to mean anything other than waking hours. Yes, if you are up 24/7, you will have to charge it twice a day. For normal people, I literally wear a watch from 8:30a-9p at the most.

I don't know what normal is, but that'd be a deal-killer for me. I head for bed around 11:30 and I'm usually up by 6:30. Watch goes onto the nightstand when I lay down and back onto the wrist when I get up. So I need at least 17 hours.

Upvote 0
This is a bit more promising. This guy isn't great at reviews, but he does give a good indication of battery life.

Moto 360 Day 1 Battery & More: Moto 360 Day 1 Battery & More - YouTube

See, that's what I expected when I first heard about this watch. I wasn't expecting something like the Pebble with an always on display, and the only reason they get the battery life they do is because of the e ink display.

This guys would have many more notifications than I would. But besides that, if he lost 27% in 6 hours, that should put the battery life at just under 24 hours. And even if people follow his instructions, I'd wait a week to actually gauge the battery life, because just like with a new phone, if you're constantly playing with it (cue jerk off jokes) the battery life will suffer. After a week the newness wears off and a more accurate picture can be had.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones