• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto E will not start, enter into recovery mode or reset

Hey guys,
I've been toiling with this issue for months. My second phone was annoying me, as the Wi-Fi refused to work. So I switched it off, and left it for a while. I come to switch it back on, and it sits stuck on the startup screen for ages. I mean hours. So I go into the fastboot. And no matter what I select, with the exception of one, the screen goes straight back to the startup screen and does nothing.
However, the recovery mode does one thing: it displays a screen of an android figure with an exclamation mark, and a message "no command".

This phone has never been rooted or modded in any way. Any ideas? I find a spare phone handy, so don't want this one bricked!

Do you know if you had enabled "oem unlocking" in developer options for the phone? (if so you have probably have some options with fastboot from pc).

Also it may be helpful to know: which generation moto E? Which carrier. Model number. Which android version was it.
(I doubt I'll be able to help much, but that info can be useful for anyone trying to help)

Upvote 0
It's an XT1021 - can't be sure of the retail model, got in a while back. Carrier is Tesco. Android, I believe, was a recent upgrade to lollipop.

I can't get into recovery mode. As stated above, upon trying to enter it, all I get is a the android maintenance picture and the message "no command". After a while i t then restarts again.

I don't even know what OEM unlocking does, so I probably never touched it! The only dev option I changed was the option for the screen to stay on during charge.

Upvote 0
The instructions for Wipe Cache Partition for a Moto E 1st Generation are at ...

The Cache Partition is where temporary files are placed. It can become contaminated over time causing all kinds of primarily performance problems. The solution is to wipe it clean.

Make absolutely sure you don't accidentally choose Factory Data Reset.

... Thom

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Okay, just to be sure you are shutting the phone completely off. Booting into fastboot by holding volume up & down and power simultaneously, selecting recovery and getting the robot on his back with no command. Then with that screen showing you press and hold volume up and tap the power button ... and NOTHING happens?

It could be your recovery partition got hosed in a failed update as well. The only thing to try after that is to completely flash the stock firmware.

EDIT: Okay, i was typing this as you replied. Hope the factory reset works, but if it was a failed update you may still need to flash the firmware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones