• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto G (2014) display vertical coloured lines appearing.

B

Beerfeet

I just got the lollipop update on my Moto G(2014)and was going through the new features when all of a sudden the display went blank and then some coloured lines started to appear vertically on the screen. It was connected to the charger when this happened.
Anyone has any idea what caused this?
crying.gif

Is this a hardware or a software issue? Is it anywhere related to the lollipop update? If yes then how do I go back to kitkat when my screen doesn't show anything
confused.gif

Its not even one month and this happens. Should I return it to flipkart (the online store where I bought it from) and get a new piece or should I go to Motorola service center who charge Rs.6000(approx $100) for a new display.

I think you shouldn't try getting a new screen until you know whats the problem.
Rollback to kitkat, and see whether it still has the same problem, if it works fine, then its lollipop thats the problem.
If it doesn't work fine then its a hardware problem, obviously the screen might be internally damaged then you will be able to decide whether to take it for a replacement or return it to the place you purchased it.

Reactions: sn9
Upvote 0
I think you shouldn't try getting a new screen until you know whats the problem.
Rollback to kitkat, and see whether it still has the same problem, if it works fine, then its lollipop thats the problem.
If it doesn't work fine then its a hardware problem, obviously the screen might be internally damaged then you will be able to decide whether to take it for a replacement or return it to the place you purchased it.
That involves unlocking bootloader. I dont want to void my warranty because if I do and if it is a hardware issue then I'll have to pay almost half the phones price for a new display.
(This is my real account so I actually posted this question)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones