• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Atrix 4G free apps

In the market, the paid apps and free apps can be separated and sorted using the tabs near the top of the appropriate label.

Pirated versions of paid apps are not supported (one thing AT&T got right with the disabled sideloading) here, because they kill development growth on Android as a platform. If the developers for apps and games cannot make money doing it, why should they bother? Pirated apps and games is a crime against the developers and a crime against Aandroid as a whole.

Sorry to sound harsh, but those of us that have been around Android for years now are proud of the great apps and games we are getting and will get, and we want to protect that growth.

Upvote 0
While this block on side-loading is GREAT for blocking paid apps being bootlegged, it's a pain for developers as well.

Because, to test beta versions of programs, we have to load the APK file. And, you find that apps work on rooted phones and then break on the non-rooted ones. So, for beta testing, you need to do it on Non-rooted phones. For example, I've been a beta tester for a long time of a program called "CacheSense" on the BlackBerry platform. Best Geocaching program out there, and even as a Beta tester, I still paid Bruce (The developer) for the app.

Now, he's working on an Android version. I want to beta test, but I can't side-load without rooting, and that makes my results void.

I've been using the "Sideload Wonder Machine" to side-load apps on my Atrix for free without rooting it.

That being said, I never, ever, ever, ever, ever, condone side-loading to load a paid app for free. That's just stealing from the developer. If you really want a paid app, pay for it. That encourages the developers to improve upon it and release newer, better versions.

Upvote 0
Ive made the switch from the original Droid thru verizon to the Atrix thru att. I thought I would be able to just sign in thru google and whaala, Ive got everything from the old phone. But because I dont have the option to check off unknown sources, I cant get all my apps that I have on my old phone. I finally found a way to download them again without paying for them again, but I want to transfer the info that I have created with those app also. I really dont want to root my phone but if I have to, oh well. So what should I do?

Upvote 0
Ive made the switch from the original Droid thru verizon to the Atrix thru att. I thought I would be able to just sign in thru google and whaala, Ive got everything from the old phone. But because I dont have the option to check off unknown sources, I cant get all my apps that I have on my old phone. I finally found a way to download them again without paying for them again, but I want to transfer the info that I have created with those app also. I really dont want to root my phone but if I have to, oh well. So what should I do?

For starters, start a new thread with a subject line that will get the attention of someone that might know something about transferring apps/settings from an old phone to a new one instead of hi-jacking a thread about free apps.
The person who might help you the most might miss your request because they have no interest in this thread.
Second, take your phones into an AT&T store. Sometimes they can transfer things over for you with special software.

Upvote 0
For starters, start a new thread with a subject line that will get the attention of someone that might know something about transferring apps/settings from an old phone to a new one instead of hi-jacking a thread about free apps.
The person who might help you the most might miss your request because they have no interest in this thread.
Second, take your phones into an AT&T store. Sometimes they can transfer things over for you with special software.

Try using "AppSaver" and see if it works. (You need a SD card.) I'm not sure if it will save your settings. Some apps you can save your settings to the SD card.

Upvote 0

To start, @K.M.A.R.T. I apologize for continuing the discussion from nigezee becasue I do not want your thread to go in a different direction, but since nigezee is new, I don't want the question to go unanswered.

Anyways, @nigezee
You have 2 real options. If you just want the same apps reinstalled, download Apps List Backup on your old phone (you may need to use Wifi if the phone is deactivated). This will create a list on your sdcard. Install the app on your Atrix and then copy that list to your Atrix. When you use the restore option, it will list all of your list of apps, just click an app and it will take you to the app location in Market. Note this will not backup apps not in market.

Or if you want a backup, use Titinum Backup (Requires root and non-market apps enabled) on the verizon phone. Then copy the folder over from the old phone to the Atrix. You will have to root the phone and enable non-market apps, but it will reinstall all of your apps and the data (like you position in angry brids...). The easiest way to root and enable non-market apps is with the aRoot method here: [SCRIPT] aRoot for Atrix 4G [ root - init.d - sideloading - tethering ] - xda-developers

You can PM me if you have any qiestions

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones